Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

My green starboard nav wingtip light appears to have failed...

Very hard to do a Field Approval from Europe. I have done 3 of them… I have a good contact in the US who will do these, for a fee:

The other way is to argue a Minor Alteration route, on the basis of a functional like for like replacement. If your A&P agrees it, go for it.

The hard way is to do a DER 8110 route, which will cost you loads. It is what certain UK avionics shops like to do because it avoids FAA interaction; the package just gets filed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I finally decided to switch to Whelen Orion 650e navigation lights on my TB20.
(http://www.whelen.com/aviation/product.php?head_id=10&prod_id=158)

The Chroma series @Peter suggested are a nice plug in replacement for the standard incandescent light bulbs, however I decided to go the hard way, mostly for the added value of the included strobes.

I just wonder how hard will it be…

Already paid for the order. The aircraft is N-registered. Who will be able to apply for a major alteration on my behalf in Europe? Or is it any other easier way?

LRIA, Romania

If I needed to colour a lamp lens I’d visit a DJ/DJ equipment shop.
They used to sell dedicated paint for custom build DJ lighting.
It’s probably much less common now but it’s probably the product that’s needed.

United Kingdom

@AlexTB20 I’m sorry. I have no idea where to find new red/green domes. I was thinking about repainting mine, but then I worried about the heat of the bulb causing a fire risk with the wrong kind of paint, or just causing discolouration. My green dome is green but clear in places, but green enough to be ok. Not sure what to do next time around.

I’d be interested to hear how you get on.

Howard

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

@Howard, I have the same issues with the green and red lenses (domes) that cover the bulbs, they are so old and the paint starts to peel off…

Any idea where can I find new ones? Did you manage to find a part number other than Socata’s that are useless? I ordered a red/green pair from Aircraftspruce but they were to small and only fitted the newer, Whelen type, that @Peter has on his GT. I had to return them.

As a last resort I plan to strip off the colour and apply new paint over the clear lens afterwards.

Alex

LRIA, Romania

Ooh interesting. Thanks Peter.

H

It is likely to be these – not yet TSOs or PMAd, but as I say under CS-STAN you may be able to just use them.

Administrator

Thanks Peter.

On one US site, it says that there is no TSOd LED replacement for the wingtip TB lights, but Wheelen have a non TSO one now and expect it to be certified soon. I don’t have the P/N.

The above is for N-regs; for EASA-regs you appear to have an easier route via CS-STAN.

Administrator

My green nav light appears to be working now….

34 Posts
Sign in to add your message