Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

My green starboard nav wingtip light appears to have failed...

I’m happy with an incandescent bulb -no need to rock the boat… or the plane’s wings :D

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

Pilot maintenance discussion moved to the existing thread

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A very good LED replacement for such bulbs are the psaentreprise paddle lights:
http://psaenterprises.com/Navigational-Lamp-Paddle-Wing-Tip-LED-Green-28-Volt-DC.html
http://psaenterprises.com/Navigational-Lamp-Paddle-Wing-Tip-LED-Red-28-Volt-DC.html

Expensive (USD135 for the pair) but really bright, no EMI and ultra low power. I have the 14V versions in my Europa XS.

Belgium

Very interesting LED lights. I watched the video, and without joking, I wonder if they are in fact too bright at night. They seem very very bright. Probably very good during the day.

I ordered the incandescent bulb before seeing your post and am happy with that for now. If LEDs take off in a big way for TB20s nav lights I’m sure I’ll follow suit, but I don’t want to blaze the trail and give my CAMO organisation concerns.

Thanks for sharing.

My green nav light appears to be working now….

On one US site, it says that there is no TSOd LED replacement for the wingtip TB lights, but Wheelen have a non TSO one now and expect it to be certified soon. I don’t have the P/N.

The above is for N-regs; for EASA-regs you appear to have an easier route via CS-STAN.

Administrator

Thanks Peter.

It is likely to be these – not yet TSOs or PMAd, but as I say under CS-STAN you may be able to just use them.

Administrator

Ooh interesting. Thanks Peter.

H

@Howard, I have the same issues with the green and red lenses (domes) that cover the bulbs, they are so old and the paint starts to peel off…

Any idea where can I find new ones? Did you manage to find a part number other than Socata’s that are useless? I ordered a red/green pair from Aircraftspruce but they were to small and only fitted the newer, Whelen type, that @Peter has on his GT. I had to return them.

As a last resort I plan to strip off the colour and apply new paint over the clear lens afterwards.

Alex

LRIA, Romania
Sign in to add your message