Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Moving to Porto, Portugal

Thanks guys. quite some helpful info.

On the other hand, you might need to some anyway, since most of the airfields will require some portugese RT…

Btw, language shouldn’t be a big problem, the general level of English in Portugal is much, much better than in, say, Spain.

172, I hope you’re right and bosco is wrong I can speak fluent Italian and some Spanish, and I do intend to take some Portugese lessons, but I’ll be nowhere fluent/confident enough to speak on the radio.

BeechBaby, thanks for the info. When looking up Aero Clube do Portugal, I stumbled on the facebook page of ‘Aero Clube do Porto’:
https://pt-br.facebook.com/pages/Aero-Clube-do-Porto/157923847650406
From the pictures they seem to have 172s and 152s. Will get in touch with them.

can testify the Portuguese are a warm and open nation

Jan, that’s the impression I got from my short visit and talking on phone conversations.

your message makes me turn green for envy

Don’t be too envious! The rates are substantially lower than the London rates. I’m mainly doing it in hope of a better work/life balance and get to experience a bit more of Europe.

Again, 10 years ago, so things may have improved in that regard. But many small airfields (not refering to places like say Portimao or Braganca) are A/A (non-AFIS) anyway, and local pilots tend to use the local language.

But it’s not just a matter of R/T. If one doesn’t speak Portugese, it might be difficult gaining “access” to people, aeroclubs etc. But hey, what do I know?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I visit Portugal very frequently and have loads of Portuguese friends, although (sadly) I generally travel there on the famous Irish airline.

Oporto is a spectacular city and the people, food, and wine are too.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Bosco, you will find the general penetration of English (not just in aviation) in Portugal much, much higher than in Spain and even – outside Milan, Rome – Italy. Actually quite surprising, don’t really know why that should be the case. And I’m not talking about tourist areas here.

Btw, Geeky, neither Spanish nor Italian will help you all that much there (I speak both). In fact, many people resent being addressed in Spanish. You know, the usual ‘big, overbearing neighbour’ issue.

don’t really know why that should be the case

see #03

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Warning: thread drift:

Not sure, Jan, that would explain French, but not English. AFAIK not that many Portuguese in the UK.

Quite a few Portuguese live in Lincolnshire, and there are lots of Portuguese in Canada and some in the USA. French used to be taught in Portugal as the second language in school, but these days it’s English. As a result some older generation Portuguese people speak French but not English.

A lot of smaller countries don’t have the arrogance with regard to language that big countries have, a prime example being the English!

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I spent some time flying in Portugal.

English was mostly good, some of the smaller airfields (especially in the North) it wasn’t so good but you could still do it without Portuguese.

Flight plans required for all flights pretty much, except I thinking circuits at an uncontrolled field.

Don’t expect to get given clearance through the various bits of airspace, this is not to say you aren’t cleared, just that it seems to be assumed unless said otherwise. I got a very confused Faro controller who didn’t understand why I was asking if I was cleared into his airspace.

THe same pretty much applies with restricted areas which there are quite a few of. You can seemingly fly on through it as much as you want and if the rather good Lisboa Mil/Info guys (who you will be talking to when not around Lisboa/Faro airspace or local field freq.) see that you are going to end up being in a bit of airspace that the mil need they will ask you to turn x degrees or change your level. They have radar over most of the country and will use it.

United Kingdom

Twice as many Portuguese speakers in the world as German speakers, and three times as many compared to French speakers. So not a bad language to learn if you have opportunity and Brazil is a nice place. Nice to know they speak English, I’d like to visit northern Portugal and never have. Send photos!

Just posting some info here that I received from a reply on Aero Club Do Porto’s facebook page… Maybe it will help someone else that does a google search.

They have a C150, a C172F, a PA28, a Tecnam P92, and a super cub.
I was sent the prices, the PA28 are similar prices to most UK clubs,172, 150 is abt 20% cheaper. Instruction is cheaper too. This might vary a bit depending how they charge (brake on/off, tacho, airborne time).

‘you can make your communications in English language. We stay very close to Porto (LPPR) CTR and below TMA. At LPVL there is no ATC or AFIS but everybody makes the reports on the local frequency.’
which to me means I will not understand other pilots so at the very least I’ll need to learn some Portuguese way of saying downwind/final etc…

Send photos!

Once I find my feet (wings?) I will do a write up!

@172driver

neither Spanish nor Italian will help you all that much there (I speak both).

When I see Portuguese written on websites I can actually understand most of it, however when I hear them speaking, it sounds like nothing I heard before! Hopefully the lessons will help.

Last Edited by geekyflyer at 16 Dec 20:35
Sign in to add your message