Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Modern (non vintage) GA aircraft that may be appreciating

boscomantico wrote:

One other problem of this aircraft will be W&B I guess.

Well, the add gives the weights, even though I think there is a mistake in the empty weight, which most probably is 570 kg, not lb. The MTOW is up to 799 kg, which is quite a lot higher than a normal 150 (726 kg) as well. I recall the empty weight for my standard F150L was 513 kg.

So this gives a total payload of 230 kg. 145 liters are approx 103 kg (0.72 spec weight) which leaves 127 kgs of full fuel traffic load. That looks pretty much like a normal 150, even though I reckon with 150 hp it will be a lot more forgiving to a few kg on top…

Other than that, you are right, this is an exceptional airplane indeed, in fact, they do have a name: The Sport Hawk. There are two STC’s available to do this, both should be good under EASA grandfather rights and as this plane already is EASA and not listed as an experimental this at least should not be a problem.

As the add sais, totally restored, new paint, new interior, up to date panel and that 150 hp engine makes it look like a very nice VFR tourer for two lightweight persons which should be able to master quite short runways too. The climb rate is quite impressive too, starting at around 1000 fpm at SL and boosts a service ceiling of over 17000 ft! Cruise at 75% would be around 120 kt at around 32 lph consupmtion, so the 145 liter tanks will give it around 400 NM range.

There is a nice summary of the C150/150 here

In other words, this is not in any way a stock 150 but rather a downsized 172 on stereoids. For the mountains in Switzerland and the airfields there, I’d say it is probably about as ideal is it comes for someone who likes a simple plane. The Sport Hawk is also a rather rare airplane which could well explain the price. Stefano could have done better in the add to point that out however.

Then again, for the same money you can get a lot more capable airframes.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 11 Jan 11:23
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

i always find in airplanes there are sooooo much dream prices! why is this the case?? maybe this could be a new Thread lol

Already been done

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

completely out of touch with the price!!!

give me 25k more and i sell you my 86 F33A !!! with less hrs TT and on engine and prop!! and real modern avionics AP etc (Peter – I am NOT advertising my F33A) just to compare!!

the same applies for the C172 post #16

i always find in airplanes there are sooooo much dream prices! why is this the case?? maybe this could be a new Thread lol

fly2000

@MedEwok

probably a poor example indeed.

This is a 150hp converted 150. This is a rarity in Europe. It can get out out of very short strips, climb very well, even in the mountains, etc.

It also has
-rather low hours, on airframe, engine and prop
-new interior
-new paint
-updated, fully compliant avionics
-corrosion proofing
-long-range tanks
-complete SIDs completed

So, this is very far from being your standard, 100hp, beat-up C150 with old avionics etc.

I am not saying that the price is right, but it might be. In the end, as always, this will ultimately be decided by what the buyer ends up paying.

One problem I see is its Swiss registration. The Swiss market is quite small to start with. And no person outside Switzerland in his right mind would keep an aircraft on the HB-reg. Hence, if sold abroad, it would have to be transferred to another reg, which is always a huge can of worms on a 50 year-old, highly modified aircraft such as this one. So even if it is technically possible to get in on another reg, it will probably cost loads of money, and on a small, fairly low-value plane like this one, it probably is not economical to do that. Moreover, it’s unforseeable, and thus a big financial risk.

In addition to that, most Swiss aircraft are not “EU-VAT paid”. So, that would also come on top if it were sold to somewhere in the EU…

So that I guess is the problem the seller faces here. For the above reasons, it is probably much too expensive for the European market. So, if he doesn’t happen to find a Swiss buyer, he will have to drop the price (which is what just happened), up to the point where some Swiss buyer will finally take it….

One other problem of this aircraft will be W&B I guess. I mean, on a standard C150, you can’t fill the seats and the (standard) fuel tanks. With the much heavier O-320 engine up front (and disregarding any ensuing forward CG problems), it will definitely be a one seater on normal fuel. With the long-range tanks filled, it will thus probably be impossible to fly within MTOW, even solo. So, this plane will probably only appeal to people who simply don’t care about certificated MTOWs, which makes the “market” for it even smaller.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 10 Jan 09:58
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter_Paul wrote:

MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed!

MedEwok wrote:

You can get a used Aquila A210 for that (say a 2005 model)

but this Cessna will serve for another 40 years or 30k hours and XXXk landings on grass. Don’t know if Aquilla will last that long.

Peter_Paul wrote:

MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=25722

A 1975 C150 for 75.000? WTF? You can get a used Aquila A210 for that (say a 2005 model)

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany
fly2000

just see today a 172 advert in the UK puhhh that is such a case of a very high price for a “old gurl” in new clothing!!!

1973 Cessna 172M
In perfect condition
Airframe 4000 Hours
Annual and arc due April 2018 – New Annual and ARC with sale
zero time Lycoming 0320-E3D engine fitted overhauled in May 2017. High tech 160HP exhuast sytem fitted worth $4500 worth.
Exterior 9.5/10
Interior 9.5/10
Avionics: Garmin 430 COM/NAV/ILS/VOR / ADF and Mode S
Maintained very well by a high ranked Part 145 maintenance company
£70,000

fly2000

Take a 1980 FR172N,
Overhaul the engine(H2AD),
New exterior paint,
New Leather interior, plastic, carpet, side panels
Install a metal instrument panel with 2x Garmin G5 and new COM/NAV and Mode S
No Autopilot.
No panel mounted GPS

Aircraft TT 6000hrs

What would be estimated worth afterwards in todays marked?

spirit49
LOIH

i agree that c182 have hold their value very well
i know of shop that is buying mid 70 c172 refurbish them with (paint, interior,avionics (8,33 mode s, garmin G5 , engine if needed) to customer request mainly vfr and sells them as he tells me, the demand for c172 in “good” conditions is high as there are only the very late ones or the 1970s´ in not so nice condition. he tells me there is a market for 70-100k c172 and looking at the work he does this seems to be right

fly2000
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message