Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avidyne's TAS6xx ADS-B IN delays

Timothy wrote:

I am sorry for that. But I think that I am doing a greater service those who decide not to get into that predicament in the first place.

I would say that the greater issue with Avidyne is their warranty policy. I will never agree to something like that.

That’s their extended warranty. Their normal warranty (1 year I think) does not make you sign that. Whether the extended warranty is worth having depends on who you talk to (off-forum).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Cobalt wrote:

No. Of course when asked, be honest. Even bring it up on a forum, that’s just normal. But somewhere between this and picketing their stand at an aviation event holding up a sign “Avidyne are cheating b*stard$” there probably is a line…

Seeing the voucher he has received, I don’t see the line having been crossed even if he were to picket their stand at a show with such a placard. Let’s recap: They offered him the upgrade. Took his money for it. Sent him the voucher to confirm he would get it. Now they are unable to fulfil. I’m sorry but they willingly entered into that contract, nobody forced them and if they now decide against fulfilling their obligations, they should be exposed and made to suffer the consequences……

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 19 Jan 23:12
EDL*, Germany

In regard to legal action – If you buy something on represented features or performance and that is clearly promised I would have thought you are protected via regular consumer trading law and you would be entitled to a refund on return of the item

I think that is true for a private buyer, in that various “unfair contract” clauses are automatically invalid. But if you buy as a business (and many planes are bought by businesses) then that protection does not apply and “unfair” clauses can be valid. I think there still has to be consideration both ways, but it is a complex area and you will spend (on lawyers) the cost of ripping out a TAS and replacing it with the Garmin version in a matter of days.

This, AIUI, is what enabled Diamond to avoid bankrupcy (or at least extreme financial hardship) when the Thielert engine business exploded; according to owners I spoke to at the time, Diamond said the airframe is one warranty (Diamond) and the engine is a separate warranty (Thielert), and obviously with Thielert the owners could just p1$$ in the wind. Then, years later, some people wonder why Diamond has a bad name in some places… Even VW would not quite do that

IANAL etc.

Administrator

liftvectorup wrote:

refund on return of the item

And the labour to uninstall it and install and certify a replacement?

EGKB Biggin Hill

It would seem that FAA and EASA have certified TAS605A with ADS-B In. Just the 4½ years after they sold it to me, and I paid for it, I might get delivery in November!

Let’s hope we can draw a line under this sorry story.

EGKB Biggin Hill

What models of WAAS GPS are covered by the new STCs?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

What models of WAAS GPS are covered by the new STCs?

Is this question relevant to TAS605A? Are you asking what screens can be connected to display the ADS-B In traffic?

EGKB Biggin Hill

See other posts on the ADS-B IN topic. A certified ADS-B IN box needs a WAAS GPS input.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message