Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Misc. electronic conspicuity boxes: Garrecht / Air Avionics / TRX-1500A / Air Connect / PAW / PilotAware / LXnav / PowerMouse / FlarmMouse / Flarm / Uavionix / SkyEcho / SafeSky

Transmission is optional

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Peter_Mundy wrote:

Transmission is optional

Because it is only permitted in the UK, right?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Because it is only permitted in the UK, right?

Something like that. Certainly there are restrictions in certain countries, but I don’t know if transmission via portable device is UK-only. I recall Australia featuring in the instruction manual, in some capacity or other.

Either way it’s a very useful bit of kit. Rules limiting its use or limiting the ability of certified kit to see it are completely absurd. The regulators are guilty of the same idiotic prejudices they showed towards moving maps 10-20 years ago.

EGLM & EGTN

Broadcast is not currently permitted in Europe (other than the UK) but there are, as I understand it, discussions underway on an EU level, to allow the use of portable ADSB Out devices.

I am amazed.

I had a recollection that “portable” (i.e. uncertified) ADS-B OUT was permitted in Europe but only SIL=0. It was the SE2’s SIL=1 mode which was illegal outside the UK. Many previous threads on this topic.

Is that incorrect?

If so, the market for uncertified ADS-B OUT products is miniscule, and no wonder there is such a scramble to shift as many into the UK GA market, as fast as possible… by running constant threads all over FB and on the UK chat sites

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It was the UK subsidy that drove sales in the UK, the chat site traffic was a spin-off. There is strong demand in the EU for SE2 and Sentry as traffic monitoring devices regardless of the broadcast restrictions.

There is strong demand in the EU for SE2 and Sentry as traffic monitoring devices regardless of the broadcast restrictions.

Whose broadcasts are they picking up?

Currently, it will be mostly airliners and bizjets, and they fly mostly in CAS.

Certified ADS-B OUT GA installations are rare.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Whose broadcasts are they picking up?

Currently, it will be mostly airliners and bizjets, and they fly mostly in CAS.

Certified ADS-B OUT GA installations are rare.

As I understand it I see:

1) All airliners, and nearly all bizjets/turboprops – in the vicinity of Oxford there are quite a lot of the latter two outside CAS, perhaps briefly but definitely a factor.
2) Anything with a Mode S ES transponder.
3) Anything else carrying an SE2 or some other ADS-B emitting portable device.

The sum total of that, as an answer to the question of who’s broadcasts I’m picking up, is a lot and certainly enough of 2 and 3 to be very useful.

The other portable product with a following in the UK is PilotAware, but these guys have unhelpfully decided to emit only a proprietary signal rather than the industry standard ADS-B. Like FLARM they are effectively a ‘pay to see me’ product, so I won’t touch them. One would hope they would fall by the wayside as ADS-B adoption gathers pace, but unfortunately they were early entrants and have significant market share – and crucially their kit receives ADS-B so the incentive on their users to switch is not great. Compared to SE2 their product is a home-brew mashup (based on a Raspberry Pi) that usually requires wires in the cockpit, but a certain sector of GA probably enjoys fiddling with it.

EGLM & EGTN

Peter wrote:

Certified ADS-B OUT GA installations are rare

I reckon some 10% of the GA fleet around here are ADSB-OUT and the numbers are growing slowly. Then there is another group that could be but do not know how to use their equipment. The flying club nearest to me for example has 4 aircraft with 430W/Trig TXPDR combinations. ADSB Out for these require a GOTO waypoint active in the 430 but 95% of the users do not know this or are too lazy to do it.

The major advantage of the SE2 for my use is the ability to receive FLARM

Peter_Mundy wrote:

ADSB Out for these require a GOTO waypoint active in the 430

Why?

Peter_Mundy wrote:

The major advantage of the SE2 for my use is the ability to receive FLARM

Indeed, though it requires a subscription. I do not subscribe at present as I don’t wish to support or normalise a ‘pay to see me’ situation with regard to traffic, but I may try it out at some point.

Last Edited by Graham at 08 Jun 10:59
EGLM & EGTN
Sign in to add your message