Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Continental diesel user downloadable diagnostics

Continental (ex Thielert) made a fantastic move and now provide a diagnostics computer to end users (500 €) that allow every pilot to download diagnostics data from the aircraft engine’s CAN bus adapter and email it to Continental for analysis.

https://diamondaviators.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6126

A modern FADEC engine has a lot more sensors than an AVGAS engine (i.e. more than zero) and obviously those can generate events for many reasons. Previously owners had to see an equipped shop to read errors. I have witnessed this myself when a DA42 with almost empty tanks in single engine flight sucked air from the tank and showed an ECU error. Trivial cause, no action required but previously required a trip to the service center.

What would be better is a tool that would allow the owner of the engine to download his data and analyze it himself. Especially for the future, when manufacturer is long out of business and oddly enough, you’d still like to fly your plane instead of throwing it away.

I went through this in my EFI programming days – we did it in the end, about a year to crack the proprietary format of the data and create software that would allow independent analysis and (in our case) reprogramming. I’m glad that is behind me.

Some recent model years of Ducati motorcycles have an oil change reminder light that cannot be reset by anybody but a dealer and if it isn’t reset by the dealer, regardless of whether the oil was changed, the engine eventually goes into limp mode. Horrible!

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Sep 15:38

That would probably be the next step.

However, there are enough engines out there and there is enough new business to ensure that somebody will remain in charge of those engines. The current company already got rid of the debt of the original inventor. Even companies like Mooney that produce 1 aircraft per year manage to find people willing to carry on. Maintaining the Thielert fleet will remain a worthwhile business for decades to come.

Silvaire wrote:

I’m glad that is behind me.

Yes, the age of software is behind us. The future will bring simple mechanical technology that can be overhauled by a blacksmith. I think you got that right. The news item that Elon Musk just increased the battery capacity of his cars wirelessly also points in that direction

Last Edited by achimha at 12 Sep 15:43

My thought with engine management technology applied to motorcycles is that it allows for simpler engines, if you’re clever you can make a single perform like a twin and so on, but few have gone in that direction. The Ducati Supermono was one very expensive mid-90s low production example, but what Ducati makes now is of no interest to me. The music is long gone.

Electric motorcycles are slightly interesting, at least they are simple, but not the relatively incapable ones they’ve made so far.

The thing with aircraft piston engines is that introducing complexity and horrible, repressive and permanent ties to an impermanent manufacturer greatly detracts from the ownership experience – without much value added to offset those negatives. I wouldn’t fly or own a plane at all with those negatives forced on me.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Sep 16:14

Silvaire wrote:

without much value added to offset those negatives. I wouldn’t fly or own a plane at all with those negatives forced on me.

An engine that consumes fuel which I get at every airport on the planet could be considered to qualify as “much value added”.

If my base assumption is that the US of A are the only country on this planet, with the rest of the land mass having “HERE BE DRAGONS” drawn over it on the map, then yes, there is significantly more complex technology with more dependency on specific companies with less value added. However, turbines are also very dependent on their manufacturer, even under FAA Part 91.

Greetings from Sardinia.

Lots of fuel here that both my planes can burn, non-alcohol auto fuel, and lots of politics to prevent anybody flying anything themselves… with any kind of fuel.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Sep 16:18

achimha wrote:

Trivial cause, no action required but previously required a trip to the service center.

Why? Wouldn’t the fault clear itself?

Many ECU warnings clear themselves when the problem goes away. At least on the Austro engines. I do not have enough experience with the Thielerts to have an informed opinion.

LFPT, LFPN

This particular fault didn’t go away easily. I did half of my MEP training with ECU errors

There is nothing more annoying than being at a remote place with an ECU error and the feeling that you think you know what it is but you’re not 100% sure. Should I stay or should I go… I am very impressed by the smoothness and elegant operation of the Thielerts I’ve flown but not being able to get diagnostic information has been my biggest beef with them as a potential owner.

I am sure what keeps people from flying in the south of Italy is exclusively politics, not the 25% official unemployment rate and p!ss poor salaries for those lucky enough to find work. Who would’ve thought Italians would ever be so respectful of the letter of the law? Gotta see the upside – if they ever can afford to live and have a plane on 1000 eur per month there is plenty fuel they can burn.

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 12 Sep 19:40
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message