Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

External cameras - performance, mounting and legal issues

mh wrote:

Simply define the areas where you intend to mount them as an addendum to the AFM, have Form 123 signed by your part 66 certifying staff and post the edited videos on youtube.

Quite some trouble for one 60 minute flight and probably impossible with rented aircraft (the owner group will probably not go through the trouble to do so unless paid especially).

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Well, then you have the choice to omit taping the flight or not to tape the registration, if you fear to get caught. And please don’t do silly things a smounting your camera on moveables or running cables across airfoil noses…

Last Edited by mh at 20 Aug 20:17
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Not a good idea to duct tape the cable over the TKS panels, because the tape adhesive would block the little holes

Editing the sound track to make sure there is no reg would also make it an exhausting project It is hard enough to edit a sound track which has passengers on it; consequently I don’t record sound on those flights anymore (always got permission anyway).

But seriously cables are not needed if you are clever about it. You just can’t do it within 300 grams, unless it is just a little local with a go-pro screwed to a tiedown bracket or some such, and youtube is already full of that stuff.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just come across this website which sells loads of camera mounts, both internal and external.

My only concern is that most of them are likely to be insufficiently rigid e.g. this one

and you tend to get the “jello” effect in movies. A camera sitting in the airflow needs to be really rigid and mounting it on a stalk like that is probably not enough.

This for example won’t be rigid

Here is an interesting article by Philip Greenspun.

Administrator

FlightFlix have dealers outside the US. Customer reports are positive but I have seen no actual video yet.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

If you consider mounting cameras on the wing strut as in the two go pros, even if the regulations allow it I would always look for the weak spots and do a risk assessment. Any part of that mount falling from 2000 feet and hitting someone on the head would cause a lot of damage to the person below. The chances of that are very unlikely you might think, but it should still be part of your risk assessment.The police also take a very dim view of it. The use of external mounts on an aircraft is a prime target for Murphy’s law (anything that can go wrong will go wrong)
Personally, before I considered fixing any of these mounts to an aircraft I would, at least, firstly attach it to the roof rack of a car and drive it up and down the motorway a few times, especially if there are a few pot holes to add to the mix. Fixing small cameras to the external surfaces of a Red Arrows jet posed totally different problems to fixing them to the Pitts of the Rothmans aerobatic team. And thats all apart from how you operate the cameras, wipe crap and water off the lens and deal with the cameraman’s constant belief that something is moving.

France

Hi,

I didn’t find thread talking about the different installations of Action Cam under the wing of aircraft especially when there is no view of the propeller.

Maybe i didn’t find it.

I saw videos on vimeo from Peter and picture is nice.

LFMD, France
We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

Charlie wrote:

You need an STC, I think

If your have an ELA2 aircraft (EASA airplane with MTOM at most 2000 kg) and the camera+mount weighs less than 300 g you don’t need an STC – you can do it as a Standard Change. The SC allows one camera under each wing and one on the empennage.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

A search here on e.g.

camera mounting

digs out several threads – example

There is a variety of conditions which need to be complied with and many are ambiguous. A 300g limit makes it very hard to achieve any sort of quality.

Accordingly, most people doing this on a certified aircraft will do it very sparingly and will remove the camera immediately after the flight

And if you ask them how, they will just say they used suction cups

Administrator
Sign in to add your message