Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

External cameras - performance, mounting and legal issues

Would anyone mount anything on the elevator??

It’s a completely different structure to the wing. It is flimsy – it has to be very light so the spar is really minimal and the skin is as thin as they can make it while still being able to rivet it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I guess only a few would install a GoPro on the elevator but they might unfortunately not be readers of euroga ;-)
But even if you mount it on the wing somewhere apart from the leading or trailing edge it has a effect on the aerodynamics and mass loading of that part of the aircraft. Planes with a newly installed long range tank need to be recertified to get their airworthiness for what then? Isn’t that not only something done internally what doesn’t affect the aerodynamics but only the mass? Why has every modification to be certified and what do test pilots do?
The Tacoma bridge was built all right, it just suffered from the exact wrong airspeed at the right angle that induced fluttering:

I know a 50 g camera is not really much but I guess we shouldn’t underestimate the effect it MIGHT have on the aerodynamic performance.

Last Edited by Neal at 04 Jul 20:29
LSPG, LSZC, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

Would anyone mount anything on the elevator??

I have seen cameras installed on horizontal stabilizers (not on elevators, I don’t recall any having all-flying tail), especially on T tails (it does give an interesting view).

Is it legal to mount cameras outside?

always learning
LO__, Austria

It is assumed NO, on a certified aircraft.

It’s quite difficult to find references for answering than question however…

Administrator

I don’t recall if this was posted here before but here is a letter from an FAA FSDO on the topic.

It’s not clear, but equally it doesn’t suggest they are too bothered about it.

Administrator

For people worrying about the performance impact of a GoPro camera mounted on the wing…

This is how professionals do it:

It’s an IMAX camera mounted on the wing of a YAK 52 TW (reg: N699DP).

It is flying regularly at my home base Lelystad EHLE where they are filming the Dunkirk 2017 movie.

Some more pictures of the IMAX camera mounted on the wing of a Yak:

Foto credits: www.aironline.nl

The asynchronous drag must be enormous…

I’ve looked up the price of an IMAX camera. They’re not for sale. They are rented out for 12-16K per week…

lenthamen wrote:

The asynchronous drag must be enormous…

Yes. So asynchronous that you do not need to take it into account until you are back on the ground.

Of course you meant asymmetrical.

LFPT, LFPN

The ultimate external camera mounting?

Here

That is a Lear Jet.

I wonder how that was signed off? Or did they temporarily re-class the jet on the Experimental regime?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message