Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engine overhaul / repair shop recommendation

Watch the following to get an understanding of terminology, and differences of a „field“ overhaul and a factory rebuild:

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Watch the following to get an understanding of terminology, and differences of a „field“ overhaul and a factory rebuild:

Thanks it explains a lot!

Portugal

LOMA Air in Belgium is well known for engine overhauls.
I have no affiliation with them whatsoever

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

miguel22 wrote:

Engine has at the moment 2700TT. Compressions and oil consuption are still very good but at some point we need to start thinking about it…

My club ran an IO360-L2A to 3400 hours before overhaul. There were absolutely no indications that an overhaul was needed but some club officials were getting nervous, The overhaul shop reported that the engine was in good condition.

We used Nicholson McLaren in the UK and were quite happy with both the work and their customer service. Of course using them will be a bit more complicated after Brexit even though they’re EASA approved as a 3rd country part 145 shop.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Threads on overhaul shops (and whether to overhaul, etc) merged

This may also be relevant, unless you can get the engine collected in a vehicle.

Of course using them will be a bit more complicated after Brexit even though they’re EASA approved as a 3rd country part 145 shop.

What would be the specific reasons for that?

For a UK exporter, and an EU importer, there is no difference between an engine and a load of potatoes. Also, the EU engine exporter doesn’t really need to do anything significant. He needs to knock up some invoices for customs. The return journey will be covered by the engine shop. Ideally, as in the above link, it is better to use the same shipper for both journeys so the VAT on the engine value can cancel out, and you pay VAT only on the work. But you pay VAT on an intra-EU overhaul so it’s the same.

The general thread on brexit effects on aviation is here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

What would be the specific reasons for that?

For a UK exporter, and an EU importer, there is no difference between an engine and a load of potatoes. Also, the EU engine exporter doesn’t really need to do anything significant. He needs to knock up some invoices for customs. The return journey will be covered by the engine shop. Ideally, as in the above link, it is better to use the same shipper for both journeys so the VAT on the engine value can cancel out, and you pay VAT only on the work. But you pay VAT on an intra-EU overhaul so it’s the same.

The tricky part is the export (from the EU) and re-import. Maybe I’m overthinking it.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

No different to using a US shop, and obviously potentially a lot cheaper because you can use a vehicle which is not an option with the US Some vehicle freight rates are amazingly cheap.

Should also be easier than using a US shop because many US shops are only going to be just about aware of that funny place called Europe

Also any smart UK shop will get geared up for doing the paperwork, which is in reality a no-brainer. Someone like N-M will have been doing engines for various mainland customers for years, so the only difference is that they need to include an invoice with the shipment. They will already have the shipping options totally sorted.

But actually anybody – with the possible exception of a potato grower who has never seen anything in the whole universe other than potatoes and more potatoes – who has been exporting high value stuff will have been doing the invoice anyway; it is just an international trade custom for anything of value and has been thus since for ever. In my business we have never treated a customer in Germany any different to a customer in Thailand; the only diff is that DHL/FEDEX/etc don’t require an invoice for the former but require 3 for the latter.

Whether UK shops are good is another matter. I hear nothing bad about N-M. Personally, I would still use a US shop, but you can read others’ pretty forthright views on that further back

Administrator

I found N-M to be very good for overhaul of our Lycoming engines. But we did have to arrange the transport both ways ourselves. So since Brexit either we will have to fill in the correct paperwork or our transport company will at extra cost.Then there is also the VAT complication. It all adds to the cost and there are companies on the mainland competing for the business.

France

Then there is also the VAT complication

This is not a personal import (which has finite allowances), and (in the general case of the customer being a maintenance firm and thus a normal VAT registered company) it isn’t retailing to the public. This is just normal B2B business, zero VAT rated. And there is no duty on UK-EU B2B transactions, and there is no duty on aircraft parts (with some things to watch but normally you will get the forms anyway on any kind of engine work, automatically)

I don’t get what the extra complication is – assuming that people are reasonably bright and not totally lazy.

The other thing that happens, in international trade, is that the seller routinely adjusts his price downwards to absorb extra costs at the customer end

Administrator

Are you saying that N-M does not charge VAT on the work they do on our engine?
If no, are you saying there is no paperwork to be prepared as proof that our maintenance firm in France is exempt from UK VAT?
In the past I have had to pay the VAT and then reclaim it or at least take it off of VAT owed balance.

France
Sign in to add your message