Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engine overhaul / repair shop recommendation

Not much help at all but my 80HP rotax has done 4758 hours since new. With nothing but regular servicing.

When it comes to lycosurus engines. I think there is an element of luck. Also how much you spend as I’m not sure reuseing or over hauling cylinders is a good idea.

Last Edited by Bathman at 28 Jun 16:08

Bathman.

It sounds like your Rotax has done a lot of flying in a short period to have amassed that number of hours.

It is generally not high hours in a short period that causes problems with engines but the corrosion that results from periods of inactivity.

Has anybody got experience with Airmark Overhaul ? Apparently they have an EASA 145 certificate.
Other question; do you have to pay VAT on your engine when it comes back all fresh and clean ?

EBST, Belgium

@airways

I have asked “around” but so far no feedback. Their website looks ok. Note that 145 certification is nothing whatsoever to do with quality of the work – same as ISO9000 etc etc.

You are supposed to pay VAT on the value of the work done, and Americans (unlike most “mainland European” nations, and the Chinese etc) won’t do a fake invoice, so the invoice accompanying the engine is for the full value of the work done.

If the paperwork clearly shows AIRCRAFT PARTS then there is no import duty into the EU.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Got it, thanks !

EBST, Belgium

@airways this is what I have so far from one old-timer in the US engine scene:

I haven’t heard anything negative about them. I know they’ve been around a long time and the reigns have been handed over a couple of times. I don’t know who runs the shop now.

He also says that firms that do a lot of bad work don’t last long down there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes they have quite a history. Can’t find anything negative…

EBST, Belgium

Hello all,

I will need to do a major overhaul to my IO360-A4M which passed alreeady 2000h.

Any good recommendations for a good overhaul shop in Europe? Is it worth it to do it directly with Lycoming?

Airplane is G registered at the moment.

Thanks

Portugal

You must check this thread. [ threads merged ]

I don’t want to be mean, but why do you want to overhaul your engine ?

LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

You must check this thread.

I don’t want to be mean, but why do you want to overhaul your engine ?

Engine has at the moment 2700TT. Compressions and oil consuption are still very good but at some point we need to start thinking about it…

Portugal
Sign in to add your message