Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is there a business opportunity in avionics for homebuilts?

Peter wrote:

But, your Ipad is not displaying a CDI for flying approaches, or driving an autopilot

Who knows, in a homebuilt or microlight it could very well do that. Jeppesen has no way of knowing what I am using their data for, and yet they happily collect my money (no: my employers money!) for them …

Why is this different from the certified / STCd system?

For a system like that a manufacturer will be able to get some kind of liability insurance cover at a price which does not ruin his whole financial plan.

Last Edited by what_next at 18 Feb 18:06
EDDS - Stuttgart

Peter wrote:

You cannot make anything that radiates anything (of aviation relevance) that is not approved.

Yes you can. There is no TSO requirements for radios in non certified/experimental aircraft. Maybe some authorities (other than aviation also) demand that the radio is to be tested/approved, but that is a different thing.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

I wonder how many homebuilts (Lyco engined) have a fuel totaliser?

I would think most with EFIS/EMS. It’s a standard setup for all EFIS/EMS. Of the two microlights I fly, one has a separate fuel system from MGL, the other has it included in the Dynon. With the MGL fuel totalizer (the separate one), you can also include GPS signals to get actual range.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Is the Landing FOB shown on the GPS or on the totaliser?

There is no TSO requirements for radios in non certified/experimental aircraft. Maybe some authorities (other than aviation also) demand that the radio is to be tested/approved, but that is a different thing.

Yes – that’s what I said, I think The end result is similar, however.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I wonder how many homebuilts (Lyco engined) have a fuel totaliser?

Most of them in which you’d take a trip. Link

The EI units are inexpensive (US $558 with GPS input and flow transducer) and are used in homebuilts a lot, as well as being TSO’d and STC’d for certified aircraft on EI’s AML. Mine is consistently 2% conservative as installed and has been reliable. I need to adjust the calibration to take out the 2% error but it appears to be a good quality device.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 18 Feb 18:37

One can get the IFR data easily (airways, navaids, airports) but not airspace which – in Europe – is published only via the AIP PDFs. So that debate would be the same one as doing yet another tablet flight planning app… a lot of work.

That airspace work is already done where there are glider pilots. Depending of teh country it is provided by the NAA, the national aeroclub or some individuals. See here for a large collection. As it comes mainly from personal best effort, it comes with a large disclaimer.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message