Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Dynon D10A got an FAA STC

The news of the day

When I read this one, I had the feeling that these people from the CAA had no idea on what they were talking about on the D10A. Glad that I am proven right.

Last Edited by ploucandco at 06 Apr 17:26
Belgium

Will be interesting to see how it compares in pricing to an Aspen which additionaly has HSI functionality (or CDI in the basic version).

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

According to the info, the D10A is not TSO’d. Does that mean that the aircraft will be restricted to VFR?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

It means they managed to get an STC without getting a TSO. That is possible if e.g. they got a DER to do an 8110 design package and used that as the approved data to get an STC.

I would think a similar route might be used to develop an STC for e.g. a CD player for mounting in an aircraft. There is no way that e.g. Samsung will obtain, or help you to obtain, a TSO for the CD player.

They must have done this for a reason, because it is on the face of it a dumb way to make certified avionics. It restricts your market. Looking at the website spec I don’t see which bit might be noncompliant. I don’t know what TSO specs apply to an EFIS product.

What this does mean, AIUI, is that there is no way to install this instrument on any aircraft not covered by the STC. Also there is no way to install it as a Minor Alteration, on say the RHS panel. All EFIS products need an STC anyway, under FAA rules.

Some small errors:

“Like any STC, installations must be signed off by an A&P. "
“The installation must be approved by an A&P. Aircraft owners who work on their own aircraft under supervision and approval with an A&P could apply this STC to their aircraft in that manner.”

It needs to be installed by or under the supervision of an A&P, and the finished job needs to be inspected for STC conformity by an A&P/IA.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

According to the info, the D10A is not TSO’d. Does that mean that the aircraft will be restricted to VFR?

From the Dynon web site:

Is the EFIS-D10A TSO’d? Does Dynon have PMA?
No. This STC demonstrates that Dynon commercial products are suitable for use in type certi cated aircraft. Neither TSO nor PMA are required to allow the EFIS-D10A to be installed in aircraft covered by the STC.
Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

@blueline The Dynon D10A also has an HSI. But to make it useful, you need an extra box called HS34 that interfaces to the D10A. This box has 3 knobs: CRS, HDG, VALUE (can change your BARO or ALT bug). Also, you get ARINC429 interfaces to interface to GNS/GTN boxes.
What is not clear if the HSI functionality will be enabled with the STC. There is nothing on the website at this level.

I personally use 2 Dynon D10A on top of each other in my Europa. The top one is the EFIS and the bottom one is the HSI and backup EFIS.
Full redundant solution.

Price tag per Dynon D10A is USD2200. Full solution for 2 D10A+1HS34 is USD5000. Maybe USD500 for the STC. That’s 50% cheaper than an ASPEN with full redundancy…

Belgium

Neil wrote:

From the Dynon web site:

Is the EFIS-D10A TSO’d? Does Dynon have PMA?
No. This STC demonstrates that Dynon commercial products are suitable for use in type certi cated aircraft. Neither TSO nor PMA are required to allow the EFIS-D10A to be installed in aircraft covered by the STC

Yes. But my question was not if TSO is required for installation. It was if it is required for IFR.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Therese is also this mini GA from GRT.
http://www.grtavionics.com/mini-ga.html

http://www.grtavionics.com/wpimages/wp0a4a762d_06.png

Not certified, but a mini EFIS configured as a portable electronic device and can be mounted on the panel.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

They must have done this for a reason, because it is on the face of it a dumb way to make certified avionics. It restricts your market. Looking at the website spec I don’t see which bit might be noncompliant. I don’t know what TSO specs apply to an EFIS product.

To be allowed to install something in an aircraft, you “just” have to demonstrate something along the lines of it not interfering or endangering passengers/ crew. It’s an entirely different matter when that something is supposed to fulfill some equipment requirement (like having an altimeter). That’s why you don’t need TSO’d CD player.

It looks like FAA allowed this to be used as a primary attitude indicator (nothing more) even without it meeting the relevant TSOs (but it does apparently meet ASTM 3153-15 and perhaps some other, non-aviation specific standards; looking at RC Allen RCA2600, which is a pure “glass” AI, it meets TSO-C4c, TSO-C113, DO-160F and DO-178B).

The obvious reason would be that this way is cheaper. Otherwise, why bother.

As a side note, I noticed that Dynon used “type certificated” instead of “certified”. Reminds me of a recent discussion with @Silvaire.

PS: TSO-C4c – Bank and Pitch Indicators
TSO-C113 – Airborne Multipurpose Electronic Displays
DO-160F – Environmental Conditions and Test Procedures for Airborne Equipment
DO-178B – Software Considerations in Airborne Systems and Equipment Certification

The list for a full blown EFIS would be obviously longer.

Last Edited by Martin at 07 Apr 11:28

I think the STC is very significant. It reflects the point in time where the FAA have opened the flood gates to new avionics tech being used in old aircraft. We saw the future guidance from FlightDesign with the C4 promoting the Garmin G3X touch – I suspect we will see this implemented next in c172’s etc.

It could lead to quiet an exciting time for refurbing old airframes and bringing them back to life.

27 Posts
Sign in to add your message