Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is there a business opportunity in avionics for homebuilts?

Peter wrote:

And the in-CAS profile of RVs and Lancairs at resasonably high altitudes (where a TXP would be mandatory) is very close to zero, too

I think that has zero to do with the fact of beeing homebuilts. How many of them are not equipped with a Transponder. There’s absolute no reason for them to stay outside CAS – other than they do not WANT to enter.

EDLE

I agree, but that still translates to a small market for avionics required for compliance reasons.

I also think that building a business on the back of a “compliance requirement” is dodgy, because these regs can change. And whatever regs you do have, if they are not enforced (and equipment carriage ones are usually not enforced) then again no market is created for the equipment.

I see this a lot in my business (industrial electronics). A lot of business activity exists solely because of compliance regs i.e. they are pure parasites. If there is say a ban on lead in solder, somebody will develop a product for testing solder joints for lead, so that “transgressors” can be busted. You can make a fast buck that way but the business can also collapse fast if the EU grants an exemption for “control and monitoring products” which most firms making anything that controls or monitors (i.e. almost anything) can make use of

One also must avoid areas which the big players could easily fill, but don’t currently because they want to maintain market pricing. That’s why we will never see a cheap Mode S TXP, for example. It costs about €100 to make one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

So this may be an interesting area to look at: IFR

There is no need for any VOR/ADF etc to be certified, unless the airspace require it (RNAV). There are a few (one?) non certified VOR’s available. But IFR capable aircraft usually have the space and weight for all this, and very few skimps on avionics equipment in a IFR capable aircraft. They all get at least one certified Garmin GPS. VOR antenna is a couple of hundred dollars and weighs nothing.

What I meant was a simple and light system for VFR. I mean, a fully digital compact little VOR radio designed with modern electronics and an interface to EFIS or a small stand alone and light digital display, how hard can that be? In the “old” days, VOR and in particular ADF were used when flying VFR. Modern light VFR aircraft have none of this, they have “Skydemon” instead. A VOR/ADF backup would be very nice, but it cannot be some old, heavy and bulky antiques from e-bay. It has to be compact and light.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I think there are two quite distinct types of experimental/homebuilt aircraft.

Firstly, there are the very capable well-equipped cross-country types, a market which is now largely dominated by the RV series. In the USA this group of aircraft are commonly IFR certified and the trend over the last few years has been to fit the sophisticated integrated glass instruments and avionics systems. These aircraft also exist in Europe but in lesser numbers (I have one) and they are also commonly fitted with such integrated systems; however, they do not currently fly IFR for obvious reasons, despite being capable.

Then there are the LSA/lightweight/simple/vintage type aircraft. These make up a very large proportion of the UK LAA fleet and they are likely to remain day VFR even if the regulations change because its a different scene and the owners have little interest in IFR flying.

Any new product aimed at the experimental/homebuilt market has to be either directly aimed at one of these groups or be so good that it appeals to both. The only things that the two groups really have to share are a compass, altimeter, ASI and optionally a VHF com and GPS. Anything else is largely superfluous to the second group and most of the first group tend to opt for the sophisticated integrated systems that are well established in the market.

I am not saying the opportunity for new products does not exist but I think it would take a lot of careful thought to come up with something that appeals to both markets that does not already exist in some form. Then to be more attractive it would need to be either very much better or cheaper, preferably both.

EGTP

If I would try to enter that market, I would start with a GNS430/530 clone. Containing GPS and NAV/GS receivers only and communicating with an external VHF comm box (like one of these for example: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/av/comm_0browse/garminG3X-touch_11-12647.php – TSO’d, but unfortunately not 8,33MHz capable).
I am pretty sure that one could get them made in China for a price, that a sales price of 1000 Euros/Pounds/Dollars would leave a vast profit margin. The homebuilder on the other hand would get a functionally identical “GNSx30” unit for less than 1/5 of the original price (1000 for the box and 1000 for the remote COM).

EDDS - Stuttgart

That is clearly doable – subject to some changes so Garmin don’t do you for copyright. The UI would need a few changes because, IIRC, Garmin copied it from King who then sued them and got an out of court settlement. So the UI is probably protected somehow.

The big issue I can see is the mapdata. Jeppesen own all that stuff currently and it seems pretty clear that they would refuse to license it to any non-certified GPS. After all, there isn’t a single non-cert GPS which can do GPS approaches of any kind.

One can get the IFR data easily (airways, navaids, airports) but not airspace which – in Europe – is published only via the AIP PDFs. So that debate would be the same one as doing yet another tablet flight planning app… a lot of work.

And if you did it so that GNS430/530 database updates would work with it (which would be really slick) then Garmin will bust you for reverse engineering.

How common are fuel totalisers in that market and what do they interface to? A GPS of some sort, displaying the LFOB presumably.

Administrator

It may be doable but is it worth doing? I think most people that want to do serious GPS approaches in IMC in experimental aircraft will probably go with the existing certified systems that integrate seamlessly with their current PFD’s. Unless of course the non-certified one had the same functionality and was sold at a much lower price, which I doubt is possible because it would likely take fairly deep pockets to develop such a unit to the required standard that was able to interface with the existing PFD’s on the market.

On the other hand, there may be a market for a small lightweight nav radio designed to fit a 21/4" instrument cut-out, like many of the small com radios on the market. If these units could integrate with any CDI, HSI or glass PFD via an ARINC 429 interface, they could provide a back-up or low cost ILS capability for many aircraft.

EGTP
There are some handheld radios with VOR feature, I wonder how they do it with the rubber antenna. But then , VORs are disappearing all the time. So I guess no big business here. Vic
vic
EDME

Peter wrote:

Jeppesen own all that stuff currently and it seems pretty clear that they would refuse to license it to any non-certified GPS.

They license it to my iPad which is certainly not a certified GPS The problem with a GNS clone will be that the yearly navdata upadate fee will be higher than the purchase cost of the unit itself which is not something users will like.

Regarding fuel computers: That would be an interesting field where a lot could be done. But personally I would be afraid of the legal implications that come with tinkering around the fuel system. If one of your selfmade transducers ever leaks or blocks the fuel flow, every lawyer in the United States will come after you. Even 50 years from now.

EDDS - Stuttgart

They license it to my iPad which is certainly not a certified GPS

But, your Ipad is not displaying a CDI for flying approaches, or driving an autopilot

The problem with a GNS clone will be that the yearly navdata upadate fee will be higher than the purchase cost of the unit itself which is not something users will like.

Agreed.

Regarding fuel computers: That would be an interesting field where a lot could be done. But personally I would be afraid of the legal implications that come with tinkering around the fuel system. If one of your selfmade transducers ever leaks or blocks the fuel flow, every lawyer in the United States will come after you. Even 50 years from now.

Why is this different from the certified / STCd system? The mechanicals would be identical. The Floscan transducer will not block the fuel flow even if the turbine jams.

I would think somebody who can build an RV or a Lancair to a reasonable standard can install those two hoses. After all the engine is a standard Lyco engine so the existing STC can just be followed as-is. I know there are flakey homebuilds but if somebody can’t tighten up two hoses right, they won’t be able to get the engine started… The airframe is not affected.

I wonder how many homebuilts (Lyco engined) have a fuel totaliser?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message