Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Pilot (merged)

Dropbox link to screenshot:

(I’m in Aberdeen)

[ image uploaded – Peter ]

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

No it doesn’t need a connection…it is from the database…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I got a reply from Garmin:

I don’t really understand what the man is saying.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

He is saying the same thing as Jeppesen. Developing for Android with all the variations of flavour, screen size and resolution is too much work for the reward involved.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Except that, I am informed by persons in the business, that there has been an accelerating shift within the past 12 months, away from IOS’s near-total domination of the GA business.

If Garmin want to have a presence they will need to do an Android version.

They just need to hire another full-time programmer who knows Android.

And it’s no good suggesting that people just buy an Ipad, just for this job, because that is yet another gadget which needs to be maintained, with updates, charging (away from the aircraft preferably so has to be carried to the hotel) etc. With duplicated app configs for email, etc. Convergence has a high value in today’s gadget-packed world (in which 45.789% of the gear doesn’t do what it should do) and people are willing to pay a lot for it. That’s why camera phones (like my S7) sell for £550 even though a camera at 1/3 the price will outperform it.

Samsung are eating everybody’s lunch. They shipped 10 million S7s post-launch, in the last 2 weeks of March…

Administrator

I agree and my next phone would be a Samsung if it was not for the fact that my favourite apps are not available for Android, whatever the reason may be.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I don’t think Garmin are unusual there.

The largest system in the UK (Foreflight) is only available on iOS unless I’m mistaking.

AirNavPro only have a token version on Android that is vastly different inferior to their iOS version.

I believe there is a significant feature different between Android and iOS on SkyDemon too, though many here will be better able to comment on that.

I think EasyVFR is one of the few, if not only such system, that has an identical feature set across all versions (iOS, Android, Windows PC, Mac).

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I got a faster reply this time:

So Garmin Pilot for Android is dead, for Europe.

He’s not completely clued-up, mentioning Itunes for Android

It’s a pity – I would like the Safe Taxi product… nothing else. I wonder if the US .apk would deliver that?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

It’s a pity – I would like the Safe Taxi product… nothing else. I wonder if the US .apk would deliver that?

Like he says, the US version wouldn’t have a SafeTaxi database for Europe, so it wouldn’t be any use in Europe.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

It is possible that their nav database won’t work but Safetaxi might.

There is a long history of US products for GA which have limited database support for Europe, but the bit which works, does work.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message