Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Pilot (merged)

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

Why didn’t you select Easy VFR in your review ?

Just a limitation of time available. I chose Garmin Pilot because it was the product that seemed to be generating the most discussion recently.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Does Garmin Pilot show tower frequencies e.g. for EGHH 119.475?

Yes.

Administrator

Lack of time ? That’s lack of organization !
Look at Peter :-)

Jocking of course. Your presentation of GP was very helpful.

@Peter,
I have very little paper left in the cockpit, and prefer to let it folded !
Overheating is less a problem into a high wing aircraft, and my iPhone is a possible backup. All in all I am confident with the reliability of iOS devices.
If everything pack up, I can still request ATC help they will provide.
Differently, in my experience, they won’t always kindly provide frequencies, except if you explain you are in little trouble.. I remind an ATC near LFML who obviously refused to give me the tower FR (I wa about to enter the CTR) answering I just had to contact them…. I guess he thought it wasn’t its job to give me it.
IFR is different stuff: you’re taken care of all the way. The best reason to go IFR :-)

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 26 May 10:09

PetitCessnaVoyageur,

It looks like it might be a while since you looked at EasyVFR. If you’d like a new trial to refresh your memory and see how EasyVFR has developed, then send me a PM letting me know which email address the account should be attached to, and I’ll arrange it for you

Peter,

Often when flying VFR, you simply get a message “You’re leaving my area of coverage now, service terminated, change (qsy) enroute” and that’s the end of it. No next frequency.

Sometimes you are given the next frequency but:

a) it’s a pointless frequency (eg London Info when you’re well inland with plenty of better options), or
b) you can’t actually make contact with the next frequency given, as you’re out of range lower down.

The other problem, is that, particularly when lower down, you actually lose contact with the first agency (due to range) without ever getting the handover. Now it’s up to you to figure out where to go next. Sometimes they anticipate that, and you’re told, “next report xxx. If no contact, then your next frequency is XXX info on xxx.xx”, but it’s far from guaranteed.

No a problem for high altitude IFR flights, but a common occurance lower down!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Yes; I think that’s what I was getting at. It’s difficult to publish a “right” frequency to use, for VFR.

All one could do is publish the FIR (FIS) frequency for the current location. And, in the UK, that would be something virtually useless like London Info which is worth tuning only for a listening watch on a non-radio flight.

If you are low enough nothing will work anyway, but nobody can do anything about that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Indeed there is no single right frequency for VFR in Class G, but there are plenty of pieces of airspace for which there is a right frequency. Say for example you want a zone transit through some class D, such as Luton. Garmin Pilot will show you that airspace is “owned” by “Luton App/Twr”, but it won’t give you the frequency. You can find Luton (through a variety of means), then find the list of frequencies that it uses, but it lists two for tower and two for approach (though clearly approach is going to be a better bet generally for a zone transfer). Same for things like Danger Areas – it lists the name of the controlling authority only. So it is possible to get the frequency, but it takes a lot of extra clicking and may yield multiple options that you have to choose between. That’s how it is in the UK; not sure about the rest of Europe.

Administrator

Garmin have not replied to my enquiry about Android and Europe.

If someone has a current Android GP .apk I will be happy to test it. I have a rooted Samsung T705 tablet, v4.4.2 so nothing overly recent.

It will be interesting if Garmin block the database update…

Administrator

I have my iPhone in a ram mount running Skydemon with the Radio page open…it continuously updates the upcoming VFR frequencies in a list….

I would insert a screen shot but don’t think that’s possible from my phone…
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

“it continuously updates the upcoming VFR frequencies in a list….”

That’s nice !

The normal IOS image upload process is from the Camera Roll. It should work – see Posting Tips

This is also relevant. Searching EuroGA for “camera roll” (with the quotes) yields other hits.

Presumably you are flying at a low level, to get GSM/GPRS/3G/4G connectivity?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message