Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Pilot (merged)

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

tmo wrote:

Quite a retarded policy, if you ask me…

I think that is an old link. You certainly can purchase GP outside of the USA.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Dave_Phillips wrote:

I think that is an old link. You certainly can purchase GP outside of the USA.

Exactly it is being sold and heavily marketed here.

EGTK Oxford

Just looked it up now, so if it is incorrect, shame on Garmin. The date on the specific FAQ entry is 2/28/2013.

FWIW, in Poland I can’t find it in the Google app store (Play), that’s why I looked at their web site.

Perhaps this direct link to the store will work for someone, for me it says the app is not compatible with any of my devices (including a non-rooted Samsung tablet running 4.4.2).

Edited to add: I emailed them asking about this, will post here when I hear back.

Last Edited by tmo at 20 Feb 19:46
tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Peter wrote:

GP exists for android

Of course it does, I am running it on an Android Galaxy S2 tablet with Android . Here is the Garmin Pilot Android User Guide: https://www.sportys.com/source/pdf/garminmanualandroid.pdf?v=3

I tried that link, TMO.

I ran it on my actual tablet.

It says “this app is incompatible with your device”. I am sure this is bollocks but maybe the shop site is detecting the device (Samsung T705) is rooted? I would be surprised it could be done with javascript but anything is possible I guess.

More likely it is detecting a non-US IP. I do have a VPN on this tablet but it terminates in the UK. They are obviously not presenting the app on shop searches from the UK and they are blocking a direct (working) URL in some way too.

I used the chrome browser because google messes up firefox these days, and under FF the shop page loads extremely slowly.

A google on the error message turns up nothing, other than a similar site URL

I emailed them also

I wonder whether this is worth the hassle, in case they try to block data downloads in a similar way.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I wonder whether this is worth the hassle, in case they try to block data downloads in a similar way.

Outside North America I think you’ll struggle to use the Android version, for want of suitable airspace data. iPad works fine here, but still a software step or two behind our cousins.

Garmin puts America first. That’s the way it is.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Garmin Aviation Support wrote:

Garmin Pilot for Android is currently only available in the US. Garmin Pilot For Europe is support only on IOS devices.

@Jacko, does the Android version use different airspace data from the iOS version? I am aware of the feature set being different, with a significant advantage to the iOS version, but would expect the data to be identical.

Pity on the availability, kudos for the quick turnaround.

Last Edited by tmo at 20 Feb 21:36
tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

I’m not sure. I never got an android version of GP to work on my Samsung, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the data was subtly different – which may be why they don’t sell both in Europe. I gave in and got an iPad. Learning applespeak was painful at the time, but hey, now O2 is offering me a 64GB cellular Mini 4 for 100 quid, and I’ll probably say yes. Maybe even buy a MacBook…

… but please shoot me if you see me with an iWatch

Last Edited by Jacko at 20 Feb 22:26
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Garmin Aviation Support wrote:

I know it is in the plan to add Europe support to the Android version but I don’t have a time frame on when that is suppose to happen.

So, that’s that. Peter can go back to Oziexplorer and I can go back to paper charts (laminated!) ;-)

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland
Sign in to add your message