Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Pilot (merged)

I’m sure the WTFIDN moments happen with any of the similar apps

As I remember it (not used it for a year) SkyDemon doesn’t help itself here by responding to touch events at all times for “rubber banding” the flight plan. Which makes it very easy to accidentally change the route when you didn’t mean to. Touch screen interfaces on software designed for in flight use need to protect against accidental touches.

Many thanks, DNJ.

One more bizzare Q: does GP run on an android tablet which has been rooted?

JeppFD-VFR (or at least it was some Jepp tablet product I read about) tests for rooting and won’t run if it finds it. I can see why they do that (making bootlegging harder) but it is damn irritating for those of us who root their devices to get extra functionality.

Accidental touches are a right PITA. I eventually solved it but any app which doesn’t have that feature is IMHO useless for flying.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Very interesting post. Hope I don’t go off the topic but did anybody tried to use GP ou SD with an iPad Pro?
A bigger screen might be required as there is more and more information on the screen or the possibility to split the screen between GP and AdL (weather) or Jepp charts might be useful, but on the other hand the size of the tablet could hide vital cockpit instruments if not weared on the leg.

@dnj: Thank you – that’s exactly what I meant. Looks I should really give GP a try.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Garmin Pilot for Android does exist, but last time I checked it was US only and behind the iOS version on features. Not much of an Apple person myself but use iPad Mini in the cockpit as I prefer the hardware design to Samsung or whatever.

Tried the Android version of Garmin Pilot and it just wasn’t as refined.

I’ve never rooted my Android devices so can’t comment on that. IMO it is perfectly reasonable for a software developer to prevent execution on a rooted device, both to protect their copyright, and to prevent unsupportable instances where people have modified (for example) the underlying database.

Tablet devices are so cheap now (compared to hourly cost of flying), that you can buy an iPad as a dedicated Garmin Pilot device, with zero other software installed, then have a second Android device, or whatever your preference, for doing all the other “tablet stuff”. I treat my iPad Minis as Garmin Pilot operating hardware, not as general purpose tablets. This also keeps them bloat free and stable, and protected from day-to-day wear and tear.

By the way, the Garmin Pilot subscription allows two concurrent installations, so you can have a backup device and enough combined battery for the longest of trips.

Yes; I agree about the single purpose gadget being OK.

The funny thing is that (possibly) you can jailbreak an Ipad and it doesn’t mind. That is true for Jepp stuff. And jailbreaking a single-purpose Ipad isn’t the hassle it is normally because you don’t need to update the OS ever… well not until a new version of GP comes out which needs a newer OS.

Can one install the 2nd GP on a normal PC, plan on that, and transfer (e.g. dropbox) to the tablet? This is another potentially tricky area with the Ipad – one cannot transfer stuff into it (other than Camera Roll photos) if it doesn’t have an internet connection. Well, there is Itunes and probably a personal (home) wifi transfer.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

But why would you want to jailbreak it? Unless you find it fun of course :)

Never once updated iOS on my flight use iPads, and also use the Restrictions feature to lock down app updates, settings changes, cellular data usage, etc.

Two Garmin Pilot instances will auto sync their flight plans via the Internet, data transfer is tiny so a quick wifi hotspot on your phone does the job. If airborne you’ll have to update them both manually as unfortunately they can’t sync to each other “peer to peer” via bluetooth.

You can define IFR routes by loading an airway plus entry and exit waypoints. So no need to enter large amounts of intermediate airway waypoints. Even long legs are quick to enter.

Often when I get a “direct to XYZ” further up an airway, I use GP first to get the heading to fly, as I can expand the airway with one click and see all the possible waypoints easily, same as on a GTN. Then mess around with the GNS430 or whatever afterwards as a cross check.

Having read this thread, I’ve been fiddling with GP today. Ordinarily, I’m a SD, Runway HD and RocketRoute man, hopping between the strengths of the various apps when necessary.

I have to say, I’m impressed by GP and how it has developed from something that was really rather poor when first released. There are a couple of things that would make it a class leader, not least autorouting for IFR planning. However, replication of GTN functionality is a big plus.

I’m on a three day trip to the Middle East in a few weeks and I’m going to try GP as my prime planning tool. Wish me luck!

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 15 Feb 18:05
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

There are a couple of things that would make it a class leader, not least autorouting for IFR planning

@achimha has been quiet lately. Maybe he’s busy working on a project for Garmin…

dnj wrote:

Maybe he’s busy working on a project for Garmin…

He is quite busy – I guess he’ll reappear soon.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message