Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system

Great to hear the interface to the GNX375 works well. A few notes:

> you need to know which ones produce valid METARs along your FPLN.

Actually since a few weeks there is a trial for the 2024 season with weather data company Meandair. They provide the ADL system artificial real time METAR for airports without a real METAR. Nothing is perfect but I am quite impressed with the overall performance.

> It would be great if the ADL has an option to automatically sent ALL METAR TAFs within the FPLN corridor automatically.

I know about this wish but there is a little issue. While customers pay per download I currently pay the satellite company by exact data volume. So all expansions of data volume can end up being quite expensive for me. Therefore downloading too many full METAR + TAF by default is not so easy. Already providing those extra METAR as mentioned above will probably increase data usage of the entire fleet a bit.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Thank you Sebastian for the good news and quick response, but I generally use max 5 or so on 600Nm trip. It would be great if you could pick a limited number 6 or so from a list with a bearing distance from your FPLN points or from a circle if your drilling holes in the sky ;-). I saw that test ……I was quite surprised to see that a small airport suddenly produced METARs ;-). Looking forward.

Last Edited by Vref at 28 Apr 19:26
EBST

I don’t know if anyone noticed, ADL now provides “METAR” from airportweather.com for the airports that don’t generate it. Last few days I checked it for my base LDVA and it was pretty accurate but OTOH the weather was CAVOK and wind was practically the same as on neighbouring airports that generate real METAR. Let’s see how this will work in future in more challenging weather conditions.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Does it somehow indicate that it is not a real METAR? I like the idea a lot, but would prefer a clear indication that it’s not an actual measurement.

Does it somehow indicate that it is not a real METAR?

Yes, it clearly states “RMK SRC AIRPORTWEATHER-COM” at the end.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message