Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system

I don’t know if anyone noticed, ADL now provides “METAR” from airportweather.com for the airports that don’t generate it. Last few days I checked it for my base LDVA and it was pretty accurate but OTOH the weather was CAVOK and wind was practically the same as on neighbouring airports that generate real METAR. Let’s see how this will work in future in more challenging weather conditions.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Thank you Sebastian for the good news and quick response, but I generally use max 5 or so on 600Nm trip. It would be great if you could pick a limited number 6 or so from a list with a bearing distance from your FPLN points or from a circle if your drilling holes in the sky ;-). I saw that test ……I was quite surprised to see that a small airport suddenly produced METARs ;-). Looking forward.

Last Edited by Vref at 28 Apr 19:26
EBST

Great to hear the interface to the GNX375 works well. A few notes:

> you need to know which ones produce valid METARs along your FPLN.

Actually since a few weeks there is a trial for the 2024 season with weather data company Meandair. They provide the ADL system artificial real time METAR for airports without a real METAR. Nothing is perfect but I am quite impressed with the overall performance.

> It would be great if the ADL has an option to automatically sent ALL METAR TAFs within the FPLN corridor automatically.

I know about this wish but there is a little issue. While customers pay per download I currently pay the satellite company by exact data volume. So all expansions of data volume can end up being quite expensive for me. Therefore downloading too many full METAR + TAF by default is not so easy. Already providing those extra METAR as mentioned above will probably increase data usage of the entire fleet a bit.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Reviving this thread. I upgraded recently to an ADL190. I wired the ADL into GNX375. The ADL transmits irridium FIS-B to the GNX375. METAR and TAF can be retrieved over the GNX raw data. I can download GNX flight plan to the ADL then it goes wireless to my Tablet. I use the autorouter to Garmin pilot to pump the flight plan in the GNX. It all works. What can be improved as a suggestion to Sebastian ( if technically possible) is the METAR interface in ADL. You need to manually type these METAR stations in the APP. It’s cumbersome and you need to know which ones produce valid METARs along your FPLN. It would be great if the ADL has an option to automatically sent ALL METAR TAFs within the FPLN corridor automatically. This would make using the RAW data FIS-B interface in the GTN, GNX much more useful.

Last Edited by Vref at 28 Apr 17:01
EBST

tmo wrote:

Can an ADL fill a flight plan to a Garmin GNS like a Flighstream 210 would?

Unfortunately not. The RS232 line which outputs the flight plan from a GNS/GTN unit is one way only. The only way to get a flight plan in the GTN/GNS is a flightstream and then Garmin Pilot or ForeFlight as the sending app.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Can an ADL fill a flight plan to a Garmin GNS like a Flighstream 210 would? That would be great icing on the weather cake…

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Peter wrote:

The ADL150 I have is the best money spent on my plane, along with TKS

Definitely. I added using it to my checklist – before sending flight plan to panel I send it to ADL and download latest weather info. On longer flights if everything is ok during the flight I just download METAR one hour before reaching destination.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The ADL150 I have is the best money spent on my plane, along with TKS

Even if I only used it for metars and tafs, it would be worth it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

This is an excellent video!

Thanks for watching Peter. Glad you enjoyed it.

If anyone wants to read the interview, I’ve also typed it out on my blog (To the best word for word) if you don’t watch the vlog.

https://www.theflyingvlog.uk/golze-in-flight-weather/

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

This is an excellent video!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
653 Posts
Sign in to add your message