Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system

This morning I got some help to interpret these images. I left Sabadell with BKN031 and shortly after the E point I was cleared to FL120. The picture was taken still in the vicinity of E going towards Girona VOR. Altitude around 5000 MSL

Last Edited by Stephan_Schwab at 04 Oct 12:59
Frequent travels around Europe

Stephan_Schwab wrote:

But then I remember also that in a METAR nothing above 5000 AGL gets reported.

or above the MSA if higher, as Peter said, and CBs regardless of height. (TCU as well, maybe?)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

OK I try to explain. More rain, more clouds, higher tops. I always try to avoid the precipitation areas (more than green) and fly to the clear area to stay VMC. The IR image is easy to read. Red and yello really bad (CB), light blue, FL200, dark blue, FL100 (I can get it), grey area nearly nothing.

On this IR I would be a small challenge to fly from Sabadell back to germany. My choice would be first low to the north, so stay below the weather, then as high as possbile west around the yellow stuff and leater to the east. The position of the weather (hightes tops) matches with the precipitation shown on the ADL (or every other Radar image). You can watch this at the DWD side switch betwenn IR and RADAR.

EDAZ

Thanks. Yesterday it was a mental excercise to learn.

Today it was much better but still a bit unusual for the people at Sabadell. As the picture above shows, it worked very well.

Another detail: before sending me straight to KANIG (FIR boundary) Barcelona did ask “do you see the terrain”. They were referring to the mountains in the picture.

Frequent travels around Europe

Route Feature of ADL120 and GNS430W

When the shop installed the new W navigators I also let them do that one wirde that connect the ADL120 in my center pedestal with the # GPS. And that really worls perfectly. It’s always a great sign when things just work the very first time you try them …

I put a route into navigator 1, opened the ADLconnect app on the iPad mini and pressed “import route” (or similar, forgot) in the app … and there is the route. The great thing is that it will automatically update when you change or delete the route.

Great feature Sebastian, can’t wait to fly through some bad weather (… probably won’t have to wait long)
On the photo: a Direct to frm EDML to EDMS plus the GPS approach

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 25 Oct 16:12

Will the ADL-130 have this option too?

spirit49
LOIH

Yes, i am sure it does (Sebastian?) but i guess you can find s. th. about it on the website

The 130 doesn’t have a connector port like the 120 have, so there would be no place to input the Route sentence.
I guess that is the price you need to pay for having the portable solution

spirit49
LOIH

But the ADL120 is quite portable too. You can always disconnect that one wire once it’s installed

Will the ADL-130 have this option too?

Unfortunately this is not possible. The ADL130 has just a USB mini connector which charges the device and is used to update the firmware. This was basically the price which I had to pay in order to use a small standard connector. The ADL110B and ADL120 use the much bigger SUB-25 connector which provides the RS232 flight plan in feature etc. but as a result when using it as a mobile device all cables are custom made which is a big cost factor. In fact I can offer the battery powered ADL130 at the same price as the ADL120 because the cost of the extra battery is balanced by the no longer required custom cables.

Here is a very short video which shows the ADL130 hardware in use:

But the ADL120 is quite portable too. You can always disconnect that one wire once it’s installed

If you wish to use the flight plan feature the ADL120 can also be used as a mobile device provided you have a power source. In fact if you are already prepared to wire in the RS232 flight plan signal wiring in a power source should be easy to do.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
Sign in to add your message