Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GEM610 engine monitor

I have one lying around looking to upgrade an older GEM 602 which doesn’t have the data logging.
What I found out is is that the unit contains a very interesting part (which I thought was a back up battery for the memory) but it’s more then that.
The unit contains a TIC (Time in Can) from Dallas electronics (DS1494-F5) with a 4K memory. The company is called now:
http://www.maximintegrated.com
The devices are called now Ibutton’s:
http://www.maximintegrated.com/products/ibutton/

Anybody has experience with the 610 ?
In any case I believe the lithium battery inside the TIC is gone as it doesn’t remember the last selected position anymore. Also it contains an RTC and memory…. I think the is used to remember the configuration programming and as a clock which has to be configured done through the palmtop.

From technology point of view the 610 has a infrared data link IRDA to an older HP200LX palmtop computer (DOS 5) for downloading the data…
As there are some very good electronics engineers on this board I was wondering if it would not be possible to use a DOS emulator like a raspberry PI and run the program on that in order to increase the functionality..?
Also I was thinking why not use real time IRDA to an external unit e.g android device this allowing to run an external application through the 610…?
Anyway this one wire memory TIC’s are quite interesting devices…(maybe obsolete in today’s electronics world..?)

Last Edited by Vref at 17 Mar 14:23
EBST

I have no knowledge of the instrument, but do recall Dallas who used to make all sorts of weird devices, with batteries sealed into them. Some of the stuff even worked, most of the time. I recall doing a multizone temperature controller which used their DS1820 “one wire” temperature sensors. These each had a unique 64-bit ID, which was a great concept except that somebody still had to tell the instrument which sensor was located physically where. Often they mysteriously stopped working and one had to power cycle the whole thing.

I suspect GEM used the DS1494 because it gave them a battery backed CMOS RAM, a battery, a unique serial number, and a real time clock with which to time stamp the data log. It’s a typical fresh from college engineer’s way of doing it – without much though for what happens when the battery needs to be replaced, and without knowing that CMOS battery backed up RAM is notorious for getting corrupted by noise and spikes.

The very best battery life achievable is with a DS1302 RTC (which has been out since 1991) which draws about 200nA and a decent size lithium “coin” cell will last about 20 years. That is about the shelf life of the battery and plenty long enough for a pissed off customer to not go looking for your goolies, but for an avionics product it isn’t good enough. And the DS1494 is specified at 10 years which is even worse. My plane is basically “new” yet it is 12 years old!

Also the only proper way to store nonvolatile data for an industrial application is in EEPROM or FLASH. The only reason for using battery backed up CMOS RAM is if you need to write very fast and very often; neither is the case in an engine data logger.

Unless Maxim still make some replacement part, I think that unit is worthless.

I don’t think you will be able to do anything clever via the IRDA port. It is likely to be just a data download port. It may have an undocumented protocol on it for diagnostics and firmware upgrades (more likely to be so if there is no other data connector somewhere) and then yes you could in theory load different firmware in there, but how will you develop it without knowing the hardware details?

The DOS based laptop is just a device for reading out the data. It doesn’t mean the GEM box runs DOS – it almost certainly runs nothing like that. From that era, it may be a Z80 or similar, like the Shadin fuel totalisers.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Unless Maxim still make some replacement part, I think that unit is worthless. I don’t think you will be able to do anything clever via the IRDA port. It is likely to be just a data download port. It may have an undocumented protocol on it for diagnostics and firmware upgrades (more likely to be so if there is no other data connector somewhere) and then yes you could in theory load different firmware in there, but how will you develop it without knowing the hardware details? The DOS based laptop is just a device for reading out the data. It doesn’t mean the GEM box runs DOS – it almost certainly runs nothing like that. From that era, it may be a Z80 or similar, like the Shadin fuel totalizators

Peter, I have found a replacement identical to the DS1494 for 12 euro…
http://www.fuchs-shop.com/en/

a DS1994 has the complete same data sheet

I don’t think the unit is useless I have the DOS software plus an old HP200LX to run it you can even upload the data to website a la EZ trends for analysis. The only downside is it doesn’t have fuel flow…but I can upgrade the unit later on to G3 which has all of it…So it terms of capability it’s on par with an EDM700 except the fuel flow…
To my understanding the TIC is used for initial programming/mode memory and and clock time stamping…The data is stored elsewhere…
Also the GEM610 manual explains that you can in real time download data from the unit the HP200lX in real time …this means there is some data streaming possible….Anyway my ambition is to get the unit working properly before I nock out another 2-3 AMU’s …the GEM602 doesn’t have a digital readout of CHT EGT the 610 has…

Last Edited by Vref at 17 Mar 18:06
EBST

If the clock does not work, what time stamps are on the engine logs?

I have found it very useful to be able to look at old engine logs around a specific date/time.

Administrator

If the clock does not work, what time stamps are on the engine logs?

That’s clear, I will receive a DS1994 shortly and hope to get the RTC running and configured through the HP200LX…
The only thing I need to do is to find CF card and run the software on it through the HP200LX.. after that I could start thinking on a Pi or Arduino project…would be back to my initial roots….

EBST

Don’t get me wrong – I used to program in assembler

You can put DOS5 or DOS6.2 onto just about any laptop which has an IDE-compatible HD controller. Most will be SATA, which DOS won’t recognise, but some of those can be switched (in the BIOS) to look like IDE. That config doesn’t always work, but it’s a start. I have 3.5" DOS 6.2 install diskettes somewhere if you need them…

The best software for downloading EDM700 data was under DOS. There have been loads of troubles with the windoze versions since, if you allowed the queue to wrap round. It is only a year or so ago they fixed it.

Administrator

There are plenty of emulators in small packages available like DOSBOX to run on different operating systems even android ..:
The challenge will be to get the IRDA working I think for the HP200LX the IRDA was used for printing so it would need that kind of protocol….to interface with the 610
vintage technology is a hype nowadays it seems

http://www.dosbox.com/

EBST

Is the gem602 the one from Insight Avionics?

In that case they have a great replacement … A G3 or G4

I’ve had an Insight 610 for years now, and with LOP becoming popular have been looking into trying to download data from it, so this post is pretty interesting.

Old HP palmtops like the 200LX are about $80 on eBay, but the Insight software (GEMCOM.EXE) is nowhere to be found on the internet.

Maxim has a USB interface that can be used to read their iButton devices for about $55 (I don’t know if it will work on the DS1494 since this is a discontinued part) I have one of these iButton USB interfaces, if I come across an old DS1494 I’ll let you know.

Google turns up this and contacting them might be productive.

Administrator
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message