Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Dynamic propeller balancing

I use a Dynavibe periodically and whenever I do a prop or ground-adjust pitch change. Huge improvement on Lyc O-360 engines. I can imagine that there’s less room for improvement on a 6-cylinder engine.

It’s easy to do on an aeroplane and takes about an hour, start to finish. We do put a safety rope on the tailwheel, just in case.

The Dynavibe track & balance facility is also invaluable on helicopters, and just as easy to do.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Does anyone have a current contact for propeller balancing, in the UK, potentially someone who can travel to Shoreham EGKA?

Who did you go for in the end?

Im getting vibrations around 2300 rpm which im hoping to reduce with a dynamic balance

EGKA, United Kingdom

I have not done anything. Lack of time and motivation 😄

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ha. Do you experience similar vibrations? I mean its not a big deal, just a bit annoying!

EGKA, United Kingdom

Every plane vibrates

Read this before spending your money.

That said, it should be done. I just need someone to help me. Or maybe organise a “group prop balancing session”

Administrator

>>maybe organise a “group prop balancing session”

I would be up for that :)

By the way, there is also a thing called re-clocking the prop, which some of the RV pilots claim made a huge difference after having exhausted all other options.

Switzerland

I have a Dynavibe Classic prop balancer (LSGY) if anyone needs to borrow it.

https://www.rpxtech.com/classic-prop-balancer.html

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

We have just got a dynamic prop balancing kit. It certainly helps cut down the vibration levels and will have a positive effect on comfort.

Having balanced several aircraft all we have looked at have been outside the acceptable range some only just so and others horrendously so.

Obviously those aircraft that only need a little balancing are not going to feel a huge amount of difference but those that are well out of balance are really going to benefit from balancing the prop. The problem is there is no way of telling how good or bad your aircraft is without going through the process of balancing.

If anyone is interested in getting their aircraft prop balanced we are in the South of the U.K. normally the cost will be IRO £500 inc VAT for a single engined aircraft.

Time for a EuroGA Prop Balancing Fly-In

Administrator

I think we could do that, As we have control of our airfield we don’t have to answer to any other people.

Sign in to add your message