Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avionics shop recommendations - Europe (merged)

Anyone know of someone (FAA-certified) who is able to actually do avionics repairs, specifically on my Narco 890?

Why do you need someone FAA-approved it it‘s just a repair, which doesn‘t leave any trace anyway?

AFAIK, an avionics engineer hinself can’t even be “FAA certified”. You could have an FAA approved instrument repair shop, but again, why, for something like this?

Maybe @przemek could help.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I see a couple of serviceable Narco 890s on Google from $400 to $500. At that price I might just find the best one available and stick it in. For example

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165924103132?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

I bought similar to have a backup for my comm in case of display problems (which have yet to occur). Lots being removed for upgrades, not because of problems, then sitting on shelves until they’re sold for whatever they bring. PM me if you need any help ordering in the US.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 03 Mar 19:25

Interestingly, zero recommendations for the UK for this guy

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Rami1988 wrote:

Any recommendations for UK avionics shops? Purpose is to install a DME unit on my tb20

We used Bournemouth Avionics at Lee on Solent for our panel replacement / autopilot (a lot of work). While I’ve no experience of other shops, they did a good job (everything worked first time, and was mostly on time and within budget).

EGTF, United Kingdom

I’d recommend A&C.

I would have saved a fortune if little know it all me had listened to him.

He’s not just right. He is allways right.

Thanks for the suggestion @Silvaire. I had seen a few on eBay but was reluctant due to the risk that it wouldn’t work after such an outlay. But it doesn’t take much time by an avionics tech to run up a $500 bill, so I guess I’ll take eBay as the path of least resistance. Worst case I’ve thrown away $500.

LSZK, Switzerland

Hope it works out for you. There is always a risk in buying used stuff but labor and/or fixed repair prices are so high that in my experience you can buy more than one replacement in order to get a good one and still come out ahead. Or combine parts from several to build one where everything works.

My Narco Nav and Comm are the matching 1980s vintage units to this DME and I carefully swapped around faces, knobs, and displays from several units to get them into shape. Also the cosmetics are good now. The hardest part was getting the knobs off – the set screws seize. In the end with knobs replaced as appropriate, new set screws (with lubricated threads), Nav calibrated etc. all came out well with the exception of the auto dimming feature on one of them. I don’t fly at night so that doesn’t matter. Then I bought an additional spare comm in good shape for $300 IIRC and I’m set up for a long time for a few hundred $ total.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Mar 15:18
127 Posts
Sign in to add your message