Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fire Extinguisher requirements (EASA)

1. Yes
2. the papers and Halon, which is mandatory for an aircraft

Don’t even think what happens if an ordinary powder fire extinguisher is applied to an airframe, most probably it is dead-dead afterwards. I once had a car being treated by a household powder extinguisher and it was 100 percent damage due to corrosive action.

Germany

MichaLSA wrote:

Don’t even think what happens if an ordinary powder fire extinguisher

But there are modern spray can extinguishers with foam, not creating such a mess as the powder extinguishers. In flight I wonder what one can do with such an extinguisher anyway…

EDLE

Sebastian_G wrote:

Does it expire on calendar time?

It does expire after 6 years apparently. It says so on the label.

EHRD, Netherlands

Thanks for the info guys. I ordered the halon extinguisher.

EHRD, Netherlands

I last looked into this in 2013, and found in the UK halon was only required for commercial use; private GA is unregulated so the choice was free. However, definitely avoid the powder and foam types as the residue will do almost as much damage as a fire. Excluding water, this only leaves CO2 as an alternative. Actual extinguisher usage would be a fire in the cockpit, probably electrical, or an engine or fuelling fire on the ground. If date is an issue you could reasonably operate it on condition with an annual inspection and label.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

When and if memory serves me well, the Halon choice was a well thought one. You can use it without residue (so no big cleaning action or even full damage due to nasty stuff doing itzy things), you can breathe with not too much hazzle (no use in getting the fire out and crashing unconscious because you fainted out) and you will not have a burn problem as with CO2. In GA there may be the requirement by MEL, but there is no regulation I know of that the extinguisher has to be non-expired = as long as the old one is fine, keep it.

Last Edited by MichaLSA at 07 May 15:09
Germany

dutch_flyer wrote:

Thanks for the info guys. I ordered the halon extinguisher.

from where pls.?

Socata Rallye MS.893E
Portugal

NCO.IDE.A.160 Hand fire extinguishers
Regulation (EU) 2018/1975
(a) Aeroplanes, except ELA1 aeroplanes, shall be equipped with at least one hand fire extinguisher:
(1) in the flight crew compartment; and
(2) in each passenger compartment that is separate from the flight crew compartment, except if the compartment is readily accessible to the flight crew.
(b) The type and quantity of extinguishing agent for the required fire extinguishers shall be suitable for the type of fire likely to occur in the compartment where the extinguisher is intended to be used and to minimise the hazard of toxic gas concentration in compartments occupied by persons.

There are “halon replacement fire extinguishers” for sale for 200-300€.
Probably any other “clean agent” would do as well and could be even less expensive.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Probably any other “clean agent” would do as well and could be even less expensive.

As well as halon?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The threat with the powder ones, and any other very corrosive fire detergent, is that that they inadvertently/unintentional “blows” off inside the airplane, and you 1. have to survive that, 2. you´re left with that abrasive detergent inside the airframe, which according to people is so corrosive.

I would be grateful for links to either;
1. Adequate, good value, Halon extinguisher.
2. Alternatives to Halon, extinguishers.

I feel this fire extinguisher discussion is like insurances. You know it´s right to have it, you want a good cover, but don´t want to be “ripped off” from something you´re hopefully never going to use. Then again so much in aviation, and particularly certified airplanes, are invested in “what if” scenarios and much is never going to be “used” or tested to the limit. It´s just part of the whole game, I suppose.

Inkognito wrote:

And if you have to use it, it’s highly likely a life or death situation where the best possible extinguisher is warranted. The lack of damage due to the clean extinguishing agent is just a bonus.

I would concur to this.

Last Edited by Yeager at 08 May 06:32
Socata Rallye MS.893E
Portugal
Sign in to add your message