Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New radios from Garmin: GTR205 and GNC215

Dan wrote:

Details off another forum,

The old Garmin boxes could do all of these things except for the colour and NVIS compatible displays.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I think the main feature is the smaller vertical space. Often upgrading from a GNS530 to a GTN750 can be vertically space challenged.

KUZA, United States

NCYankee wrote:

I think the main feature is the smaller vertical space.

Yes, exactly, although Trig’s TX56/57 is equally thin.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 02 Feb 18:29
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

The thing I find funny is that a decade after everybody was moving into “glass”, Garmin realise that there is a big market for separate boxes

I predict that their next product will be a slide-in KX radio replacement, or a slide-in KLN94 replacement which does LPV

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The thing I find funny is that a decade after everybody was moving into “glass”, Garmin realise that there is a big market for separate boxes.

These are two separate divisions within Garmin, each with own development plans.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter

I think a slide in KLN94 / 89b replacement is unlikely , there are not a lot of those units about as it was outsold by the Garmin GNS units despite the Garmin pilot interface being far worse than the King unit.

Most of these units got replaced in big upgrades that replaced a lot more than the KLN 94 / 89b.

Peter wrote:

The thing I find funny is that a decade after everybody was moving into “glass”, Garmin realise that there is a big market for separate boxes

“Glass” really only means that you have a display screens. You can either have an integrated system (e.g. G1000) or a system with separate boxes (e.g. G3X). Both are “glass”.

Airborne_Again

The G1000 glass in the cockpit is just a control head for a bunch of separate boxes mounted in the back of the aircraft. So little has changed apart from the place you put the separate boxes and how you control them be that remotely or from the front of the box.

A_and_C wrote:

The G1000 glass in the cockpit is just a control head for a bunch of separate boxes mounted in the back of the aircraft. So little has changed apart from the place you put the separate boxes and how you control them be that remotely or from the front of the box.

I know, but the G1000 is an integrated system. You have the GDU and the GEA etc. which can only be used together. You can’t just hook up e.g. a separate NAV box to the system. In contrast the G3X is designed to work with a variety of other avionics boxes.

19 Posts
Sign in to add your message