Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skydemon (merged thread)

No. i mean any traffic recievers with GDL90 protocol as mention on the SD homepage in latest updates

[NEW] Traffic receivers using the GDL90 protocol are now supported as position sources

fly2000

OK, sorry no idea then.

EGTK Oxford

Skydemon and traffic advisory

For those using SD with a traffic advisory system please may I ask what you use and why? The various offerings from FLARM to GLD90 vary so greatly in cost and I have no experience of any of them. I am quite happy with SD doing the navigation and do not wish to change but to add the traffic would be great.
Thanks

UK, United Kingdom

I get traffic on Sky Demon using a Power Flarm Butterfly wi fi connect.

However, it is essential that you get a Flarm display high up so you can glance at the display and look out quickly. In the last few weeks Flarm has identified two groups of gliders for me on two trips (I avoid glider sites like the plague but on some trips you have to pass within say 10 -15 Nm of some sites).

The closest glider was at 12 o clock, indicated slightly higher at 3 Nm. I descended and visually acquired the glider at just over 1 Nm, by then he was much higher than me and catching a thermal in a turning climb.

I am sure that most of the time people wouldn’t see these small “dots” but the good thing is, due to Flarm, he also would have been aware of me and the initial indication allowed me to increase separation.

United Kingdom

In the UK there is very little traffic radiating FLARM, apart from a % of gliders. And Power FLARM doesn’t give you azimuth of Mode C targets. And a large % of low level GA (say below 2000ft) flies non-transponder or with Mode C either turned off or not working.

Of course many disagree but I can confirm most of the above by flying with a £12k active TAS system

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think that the TAS system is the best thing since sliced bread and has saved my skin many times, but it does not pick up most gliders.

We had a close encounter yesterday with a Cub which was clearly not squawking at all (even A).

EGKB Biggin Hill

From here

Ok, SD offers a whole range of chart depictions (including caa style).
Why would you not update your charts? It prompts you and you press a button.
Sure the FL issue exists but you know about it!

I think for some reason you just have an aversion to them:-)

FWIW I use SD coupled to a paw device, it works very well for SI. I plan on SD on pc and download the route to the gtn650…works well off airways.

EGNS, Other

It prompts you and you press a button.

and pay.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Er ..no, you pay an annual sub circa £80 p.a. for all European charts.(and many other places)

If you are operating an aircraft this is peanuts!

Surely this is not your issue?

My garmin update is £400+ (OK , could update less often for just £150 a time!)

Last Edited by PeteD at 29 Jul 16:56
EGNS, Other

If you run SD in airways mode, it may not warn you about airspace by default, you can change this easily.
I think SD is VERY good value for money for pure VFR and in combination with Autorouter for IFR. I run it on a 7" Nexus7 with GNS2000 Bluetooth GPS. I can hear the airspace warnings clearly with my Lightspeed Zulu2 headset.

SD also shows Notams such as Red Arrows routings graphically on the map. You have to work really hard to bust airspace if SD is running.

EBKT
Sign in to add your message