Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TB20 tyre recommendation please

In the IPC (2006 – last edition) I see

and under Caution I see the standard text about tyres on a certified aircraft (not allowed any deviation)

Other recommendations are that Goodyear are the very best, and this:

Goodyear tire 15/6.00-6 – 160TT Pt# 156E66B1 + Aero Classic tube 15/6.00-6 Pt# GDL1520B.
Goodyear 156E61-3

On Goodyear, Socata certified only the 156E61-3 for the TB20. So the strictly anal position is that.

As usual, Socata use their special P/Ns to get less than smart owners to buy tyres from them, which nobody with a brain will do, but some apparently do that.

One mechanic said if you want the best, go for Goodyear 8-ply. I can’t find any in that size. Just these two

Thank you for any tips.

I have some cheap tyres currently – Michelins I believe. They were done by some shop a while ago. The 156E66-4 (the RH pic) I recognise as I had them in the past and they lasted well. Well, at nearly 2x the money…

If the gas shocks are filled not quite equal (mine have been 1cm different for a couple of months and I didn’t think much of it; could not quickly fix it due to airport arrangements) you get rapid tyre wear on one side. It seems to change the suspension geometry.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Maybe it’s because I am french and influenced by the closeness of a Michelin factory, but Michelin never fails

LFOU, France

Unfortunately, the real bummer these days are the tubes.
Coming from the same line as you lawnmower stuff, it multiplies in value in the certification process.
At least tires are available again, there was a period when you had to wait, if you needed a new one.
I might have two well “matured” ones, if you are interested, have to check if II or III variety.

EDM_, Germany

Tubes are £100 or so. I am sure they are cheap tubes, but… who wants to risk it?

Administrator

I like the Michelin Air Stop tubes. A bit more expensive but with only very minor pressure loss over time it’s easier to use a hand pump to top them up occasionally.

Hard to imagine that Socata thought people might buy tires from them, even if they tried to make it legally mandatory. Absurd.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Sep 20:20

You can buy tyres/tires from anywhere but only those certified by Socata. I believe Socata did publish elsewhere the OEM part numbers.

The “cannot deviate from TC-holder-certified tyres” is a widespread thing in GA, which is obviously ignored by many.

What does “air stop” do?

Administrator

The “cannot deviate from TC-holder-certified tyres” is a widespread thing in GA

Normally by my observation only the size and ply rating is specified.

You can buy tyres/tires from anywhere but only those certified by Socata. I believe Socata did publish elsewhere the OEM part numbers.

Better than nothing until the OEM part numbers aren’t available and then you’d better hope the airframe manufacturer still exists to update their requirement. As you’ll understand the existence of a TC holder would otherwise have no bearing on the validity of the TC on N-register, which is why it is more reasonable for the airframe manufacturer to specify to an industry standard size and ply rating. Same issue as with AN bolts etc, only worse given that tires are a consumable.

My plane is funny in that the original MLG tire size (5.50-5 6PR) hasn’t been available since the 1970s or so – it was only ever used on two plane types. There is an alternate size (380×150-5 6PR) that is really too bulbous but does just fit in the wheel fairings. People use either that or (illegally) the smaller size (5.00-5) used on the nose wheel, selecting a specific tire to ensure the ply rating is OK for the required MLG tire load capacity. These same two size options are also used by RV people.

What does “air stop” do?

It minimizes tire pressure loss over time.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Sep 21:44

I wonder how it does that. Thicker rubber?

Administrator
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message