Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Significant problems with Rotax engines?

dublinpilot wrote:

Is E0 still readily available across Europe? In Ireland there is no E0 nor E5 available.

Probably because there is no demand? We have a local reseller (local within the county) called Trønder Oil. They sell diesel mostly. They also sell gasoline, but the only gasoline they sell is ethanol free 98 Due to demand for sure. I think they actually sold 95 earlier, but have converted all their stations now.

It’s not E0. It’s marked as 98 E5 according to EU regulations, at least the fuel from Esso and Shell. But, they have all made it clear that they add no ethanol into it. Remember E5 means “up to” 5%. YX, a part of Unox-mobility say in their product description that 98 is particularly good if you need to store the fuel due to 0% ethanol.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

As another data point, both BR23s with Rotax 912S in my club have now been grounded again. Both had precautionary landings last weekend…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Is it just the BR23s having the problem with the 912S? Some sort of incompatibility perhaps? I understand that BRM and Rotax are considering all possibilities from the fuel used through to the oil system supplying the constant speed prop and everything in between. We hope they find the solution soon, for all concerned.

France

Thanks for alerting Bosco. You mention precautionary landings, so it was a partial power loss during cruise?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Is it just the BR23s having the problem with the 912S? Some sort of incompatibility perhaps? I understand that BRM and Rotax are considering all possibilities from the fuel used through to the oil system supplying the constant speed prop and everything in between. We hope they find the solution soon, for all concerned.

Apparently not, as per the first post of this thread. Yet, the events at the French school and these recent ones in Germany do put the certified B23 in a bad light. I believe about 100 have been delivered, the vast majority with the 912S engine. There are hundreds of the UL/LSA version flying that have a similar engine and fuel system configuration to the B23 AFAIK, and I haven’t heard about issues on these, but maybe they are not reported.

boscomantico wrote:

As another data point, both BR23s with Rotax 912S in my club have now been grounded again. Both had precautionary landings last weekend…

Are these carbureted or injected engines? What were the symptoms to cause the precautionary landings?

EDL*, Germany

Carbureted.

Steve6443 wrote:

What were the symptoms to cause the precautionary landings?

Unless we know something more, I would subscribe it to mass anxiety

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

In the case of the 2 incidents for the French club, they were both due to loss of power after take off. In both cases enough power remained for a return to the runway. However, on both occasions there was an odour of burning at certain power settings.
The aircraft was not damaged nor was anyone injured. On one incident a Pan Pan was called and in the other a Mayday.
Both BRM and Rotax AIUI reacted promptly to the first incident and as far as I know are still investigating all possible causes.
One has to remember that in France, Rotax engines have clocked up hundreds of thousands, if not millions of hours on different aircraft and ULMs. The main workhorse being the 912 in its various forms.

Last Edited by gallois at 03 Feb 11:51
France

According to the current insights of BRM, this is the reason..

Sign in to add your message