Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Challenger reusable oil filter

Has anyone got any experience with the Challenger reusable oil filter? It seems like a great alternative to the disposable filters, and is EASA approved:

https://www.challengeraviation.com/collections/oil-filters

EHRD, Netherlands

That looks absolutely amazing.

It is worth it just for the ease of inspection. No need to cut it open, which is a super messy job.

However, can anyone find the PMA list for it? A/Spruce just state: These are PMA’d or STC’d for most aircraft and engine combinations. You would just need to make sure your engine and aircraft are on the application guide. We always recommend consulting with your A&P installer to confirm legality of the install. I could not find the PMA list on the mfg’s website.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

However, can anyone find the PMA list for it?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0589/0808/2276/files/ApplicationGuide_1.pdf?v=1657136895
Local copy of above

Also apparently it’s EASA approved without STC. But for N-reg you need a 337.

Last Edited by dutch_flyer at 26 Aug 09:18
EHRD, Netherlands

A 337 is for a Major Alteration (STC, Field Approval, DER 8110, TC authorisation). They claim PMA, and PMA is PMA. A direct replacement.

But you can’t order it from say Aircraft Spruce Germany (Sandelving GMBH, not related to A/S USA) due to this

But for a TB10 you can

But, hang on, that PMA list shows a CP-2003 which is a totally different product… One needs the PMA list for a Challenger CP48103C.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

But, hang on, that PMA list shows a CP-2003 which is a totally different product…

You’re right. That’s the list for the air filter.

EASA STC, which also lists the FAA STC:

EHRD, Netherlands

Looking up the FAA STC SE02352CH

I get this which lists the IO540-C4D5D

So there is an STC, and, yeah, you will in Form 337 and send it off to Oklahoma for filing. No “approval”; just a logbook entry.

And this site cross-references the real filter to the STC. Strange that Challenger don’t appear to have this on their website.

Sandelving DE confirmed they ship to the UK: “we love the UK” – very unusual, post-brexit

Administrator

Looks like you request the STC from Challenger directly using this form. Not sure if that also applies to EASA aircraft. I will contact them to find out.

EHRD, Netherlands

Peter wrote:

Sandelving DE confirmed they ship to the UK: “we love the UK” – very unusual, post-brexit

If you want a local UK shop, it seems these guys also have them.

EHRD, Netherlands

Interesting. Due to the STC application form text I would probably prefer to buy from the US, otherwise the mfg may not link the STC request to the purchase, and impose the extra charge.

That filter element

is very similar to the ones Socata use for fuel. Last for ever (under EASA, are life limited) and you just wash them out and inspect. The price is OK too, unlike the Socata fuel filter which is heading towards 1k.

Administrator

On oil filters generally, my engineer says the filter (O-320-D3G) is good for 500 Hours anyway. Of course no ‘open up’ inspection but I wonder how many do that as a matter of course?

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom
67 Posts
Sign in to add your message