Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Challenger reusable oil filter

Sorry about the typo. Yes, I meant K&P.

Thanks for the info about the S15 corresponding to the CH48108-1/CP48108C. That’s what I needed.

My aircraft is certified, so I need the STC and therefore the Challenger filter rather than K&P. But I’m prepared to “take the risk” on the O-rings. $12.50 per ring is ridiculous when the exact same thing is available for just $1.00. I just needed to know which to order (QR2 in this case).

Thanks again.

LSZK, Switzerland

The “non-certified” o-rings have arrived

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Have you changed the oil yet?

EHRD, Netherlands

Not yet.

Administrator

Does this filter have to be replaced after 5 years or 1200 hours, or could it be run on conditon past that ?
If the latter, then it makes sense to upgrade – from a pure investment return POV.

Has anyone installed and used this filter up to these calendar/hour limits, comment on the state of the filter internals, and whether you continued using or replaced ?

Last Edited by flyingelephant at 24 Mar 13:10
United Kingdom

flyingelephant wrote:

Does this filter have to be replaced after 5 years or 1200 hours, or could it be run on conditon past that ?

The K&P replacement filter is about $90 if I recall correctly. I don’t know what the “rules” say for certified aircraft but I have not found any mention of needing to replace the filter. It’s very easy to inspect. The min failure elements would be the glue holding the stainless steel mesh in place, and perhaps the magnet could pop out. I have a few pictures here if you are interested. I bought two filter elements so I could carefully clean and inspect the one I remove.

http://www.rv8.ch/first-oil-change-with-kp-cleanable-filter/

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Have you changed the oil yet?

Yes; did the first service today since the Challenger filter installation. 40hrs on the oil.

Nothing notable.

You don’t examine the filter like you examine the paper ones, obviously. You need a jamjar or some other “beaker” type container, fill it with avgas, and dunk the filter element into it, and check what gets rinsed out.

Administrator
67 Posts
Sign in to add your message