Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Challenger reusable oil filter

Thank you. It comes with one extra gasket but that firm above is incredibly cheap. Would they ship to Europe? I have emailed them.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Would they ship to Europe? I have emailed them.

They unfortunately stopped mailing to Europe, but I have some spares I can send you. I think the min order was 10.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

At the risk of repeating myself, I bought my filter, and 10ea gaskets from Speedline Moto, in the UK.

Now I’ve been running that filter for the better of 300hrs, e.g. 6 oil changes and associated filter removal, cleaning, and install, all on the original gasket
And same as @eurogaguest1980, I could bring a couple of ‘em gaskets at the next flying, assuming you and I could attend of course…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Got this hilariously dumb reply from McMaster-Carr:

Hi Peter,
Thank you for considering McMaster-Carr for your purchase. However, we will not accept orders from your location due to the cost of complying with US export regulations.
Tina

Of course, o-rings are ITAR

I can well believe one can re-use them multiple times, but at the tiny price, why would one bother?

I will catch you at the next fly-in. It may be a ski-to-fly instead

I looked at Speedline Moto and they don’t list the o-rings so I emailed them. It sounds like you bought your whole filter from them. No surprise if Challenger are just reselling an off the shelf motoring part – because they sell the STC with it. Hmmm their email bounces because their web message form is dud. I sent them a message via FB. They replied that Challenger have a monopoly on aviation applications so you must not say it is for aviation (filters or o-rings).

Administrator

The article linked a few pages back mentions the filters are manufactured by K&P.

always learning
LO__, Austria

You mean this one?

here

I missed out on some fashionable colour options

I wonder if, for EASA-reg, this would be covered by this or has the recent change made that unusable?

For an N-reg I think this is a Major Alteration so the Challenger (STC) route is the most practical way, although if you want to do a Field Approval you could perhaps reference that STC. Can a Field Approval reference an STC which is authorised only to specific owner or aircraft? @ncyankee may know.

I ordered 10 of their o-rings; will see if they are the same as the Challenger ones.

Administrator

I wonder if, for EASA-reg, this would be covered by this or has the recent change made that unusable?

The K&P one? I don’t think so. It isn’t specifically meant for aircraft. („identified for installation in the specific aircraft“). Or does the STC list types?

One option would be to get the Challenger STC „one off“ EASA validated.

always learning
LO__, Austria

They’re all manufactured by K&P, the cheap S15 or whatever non-certified, or the expensive Challenger for the rest.

Peter, should be the same « O-rings »… Albert (Arthur?… no…) needs some time, but nice to deal with

Last Edited by Dan at 28 Dec 22:49
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

identified for installation in the specific aircraft

Does that wording really mean that specific aircraft?

The person who would know the intention for sure, @bookworm, appears to be long ago gone.

But very few products are thus identified.

Maybe one could argue that the existence of the STC for what is obviously the same item has the same meaning. AIUI, the intention of that EASA concession was exactly to be able to use an “obviously same part”. @antonio might have a view – we discussed this in one of our Zoom meetups.

Thanks Dan; I will report

Administrator

If the filter is eligible for engine XYZ, and aircraft has engine XYZ, it could work.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message