Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying Neurons

That sounds about right. But as I wrote, I I don’t have all the information and I am not exactly tech savvy I can only describe what I saw in the demonstration.

France

I looked at this Neuron briefly at Aero22.
Seems like it’s similar to a Stratux with ADSB in, FLARM and non-directional Mode-S.

What all these solutions have in common is they are pretty worthless when taking into account how easy things could be with ADS-B (like in the USA).

always learning
LO__, Austria

Exactly.

The pressures to push Product X come from interesting places. Here in the UK, at least 2 ex RAF → CAA → NATS → CAA → NATS (it’s all the same ) guys went to work for, guess what, Uavionix

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The article is here IP795 p.40-42 @gallois, but I don’t think it adds much to what you said (pages in reverse order so start at the bottom). I think I saw another article recently so I’ll try to find this and summarise both.

To be brutally honest, I agree with Snoopy

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

The pressures to push Product X come from interesting places

Yes seems to be “my friend & my friend” in small circles (PAW/FLARM) than what is “better for the overall public” (ADSB)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

And, as discussed before e.g. here, you cannot finance ground infrastructure (transmitters, a server on 3g/4g, etc) purely from hardware sales. You need a subscription.

Administrator

On looking at some further information it looks like the system weighs 44 grammes and links to an internal antenna.
NeuroADSB allows you to detect ttansponders equipped with ADSB, S or Charlie.
NeuroFlarm a Flarm emitter and receiver completes the system.
The cost is €1050 + tax.
You can also buy a cable for €65 + tax if needed tp turn your existing Mode S into an ADSB out, of your mode S is not ES equipped. For certified aircraft this would have to be installed by an approved maintenance facility but it should take the maximum of an hour.
An APP NeuroFly (IOS or Android) connects the Neurone by bluetooth and shows the traffic in the area as well as the risks of a collision.
It works on a dedicated screen or shared on a tablet or smartphone running whatever nav app you prefer as long as it accepts the GDL90 protocol.eg SDVFR, SD,Foreflight, EasyVFR
Neurone will detect by radio Air to Air
A/c equipped with ADSB
Transponders Mode S (about 60% of the French fleet.
Transponders mode Charlie
Flarm, Power Flarm, Flarm Fusion
Machines equipped with Neurone
Also if you are in an area covered by a mobile network you can detect traffic on SafeSky, OGN or PilotAware.
Neurone will not detect a/c without transponder or Mode S or Mode C where they are not in a zone where they are interrogated by SSR. The reason for this is that Mode S and Mode C only emit when interrogated as.opposed to ADSB which emits continuously.
There is more but I don’t want to send everyone to sleep.
The reason FFA and RSA are doing these studies is that they expect the European authorities to demand ADSB for all aircraft in the near future.
They want to be ready to advise clubs and others on a non onerous, portable system which takes into account what people already have such as gliders who have already invested in Flarm and clubs and builders have already invested in mode S, maybe without ES.
If all goes well they will encourage French clubs and pilots to go the Neurone route so that we can all see each other using a system which does not cost the proverbial arm and a leg and also to provide a route whereby costs can be further reduced by getting together in groups to bulk buy.
If I can figure out a way to scan the images on a tablet or phone I will do so.
This study is of course only happening within France and may turn out to be rubbish. We will see.🙂

France

Also if you are in an area covered by a mobile network you can detect traffic on SafeSky, OGN or PilotAware.

I remember Safesky now. It needs mobile data.

The reason FFA and RSA are doing these studies is that they expect the European authorities to demand ADSB for all aircraft in the near future.

Why not focus purely on ADS-B?

Actually I doubt mandatory ADS-B OUT will ever happen for all traffic. In France for example you can fly VFR all over the country without a transponder. And looking at say FR24 it is obvious that most aeroclub traffic does exactly that, along with other groups e.g. amateur built, and anybody who likes “privacy”. Same in the UK actually, VFR and IFR OCAS, though the incentives are slightly enhanced While some countries e.g. Belgium are almost unflyable without Mode S, in the “big GA scene” countries, the wheels of authority turn slowly.

Administrator

From their website

The Neurone system is easy to use, easy to install, and can be adapted to suit your needs:
The Neurone – the heart of the system. It exchanges its position with other Neurones via ultra-long range radio and is connected to the NeuroFLY application on your Smartphone or tablet.
The NeuroADSB is an ADS-B IN transponder. It connects to the Neurone and detects the positions of all ADS-B transponders as well as the altitudes and distances of both Mode S and C transponders.
The NeuroFLARM is a FLARM radio transmitter and receiver. It connects to the Neurone . It detects and is detected by all aircraft equipped with FLARM.
The transponder cable turns your Mode S transponder (*) into an ADS-B OUT transponder.

In areas covered by a mobile network, radio exchanges are completed automatically:
You will be able to see traffic from other platforms (OGN, Safesky, Pilotaware, ADSBhub…)
You will also be visible on these platforms.

Note that it detects “the altitudes and distances of both mode S and C transponders”. It doesn’t detect the position, just altitude and position.

Functionality wise, it’s basically identical to PilotAware.

It detects position of aircraft using the same system and those broadcasting ADSB.
For mode S and C, it can only detect their altitude and signal strength (and estimate the distance based on that) but has no idea of the bearing.
If you have a suitable mode S transponder, then it can provide the GPS source to allow your transponder to do ADS-B out (but it’s your transponder that is doing the ADS-B out, not the Neuron).
If you have the FLARM add on, it can detect the position of FLARM devices.

If you’ve a mobile connection, it can gather data from other sources (which might or might not be subject to time delays).

So it seems very similar to the Pilot Aware system but I think it’s considerably more expensive (though it does depend a bit on what you get in term of a FLARM subscription and installation equipment).

EIWT Weston, Ireland

The traffic detection situation is already a complex issue and some people have nothing else to do than inventing yet another proprietary solution making the situation worse and worse. Airplane owners should spend their money on equipping their planes ADS-B out. Then they can buy a super cheap ADSB in solution like Stratux or similar to see all the data.
Sorry I am frustrated. How long until the next genius comes along and invents the next proprietary 868Mhz solution after FLARM, Pilot Aware and Neuron? Actually Pilot Aware and the Neuron have a point using the superior 500mW transmit power option instead of 25 mW for FLARM. But that ship has sailed. ADS-B out is the proper solution to this problem.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
Sign in to add your message