Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engine Out Survival Tactics

Hello EuroGA!

I have been talking with Peter about my new book (which he is currently reviewing). He has graciously allowed me to make a post here to tell you about this exciting new read!

First off…my goal is to make GA (everywhere) safer. Period.

When I found out that fatalities from engine loss events (in the USA) was the 2nd leading cause of deaths in GA, AND that ~30% of engine loss accidents are purely mechanical failures…I was shocked.

I am a retired USAF F-16 pilot and current test pilot for Lockheed Martin. In the military we train for hours and hours on engine loss procedures and emergencies. And we have the luxury of nice simulators as well, to aid in this training. As an avid GA pilot, I was concerned with the level and emphasis of engine loss training provided to the average GA pilot. Hint: it’s not much.

So I wrote this book…and took techniques and such from the military and applied them to GA. These techniques work for ANY GA single engine airplane, and can help you become a better and safer pilot or instructor pilot. Seriously, you will learn more than you ever wanted to know on what to do when your engine quits.

Okay. So if you’re still with me, please check out my webpage, Facebook page, or Twitter feed. And feel free to ask questions. If you are not so certain, and would like more info, please check out a webinar I did with the EAA at http://eaavideo.org Its about an hour long, it’s FREE and it gives a bit of a primer on the book and I discuss a lot of what these tactics and such really are.

I appreciate your time, and support. And thanks again for allowing me to at least point you in the right direction for advanced engine loss training should you decide you’d like to know more.

The book is currently only an eBook and is available on iPad, Amazon Kindle, Nook, and a few others in Europe too.

Thank you.

Nate “Buster” Jaros
http://engineout.weebly.com
Learn the Tactics that can Save Your Life

Fighter Pilot Tactics for GA Engine L...
KVGT (Las Vegas, NV)

And we have the luxury of nice simulators …

Even more than that you have the luxury of a nice piece of seating furniture made by Mssrs. Martin and Baker!
But I will start by watching your online video when I’m home tonight.

Regards
Max

EDDS - Stuttgart

What would be a 100% assured forced landing procedure – assuming one is high enough / fast enough?

The military teach something like that, which supposedly works every time if you do it right.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It has always surprised me that GA teach to trim for best glide…and just let the speed bleed off.
In the airforce we learned to trade speed for altitude. I know there is a little more speed to trade out of an F16, but still.

EGTR

If I understand you correctly Peter, to ensure you will make it 100% of the time…we practice, practice, practice.

We also use and teach something called sight picture. This relates to energy management and the known airplane’s GLIDE ANGLE. Once you know the glide angle of your plane (most GA planes are around 6 degrees) you can set yourself up on a 6 degree glidepath…and you know you will make it. The trick is learning where that 6 degree glidepath is and “how to see it.” That is called sight picture.

I’m fairly certain that each of you could go out right now and fly damn near a perfect 3 degree visual approach with no reference to VASIs, PAPIs, etc. Why? Because you fly a 3 deg approach every day! The same hold true for practice engine out approaches. Practice enough of them and that sight picture becomes natural and easy.

Fighter Pilot Tactics for GA Engine L...
KVGT (Las Vegas, NV)

Buster here is your specific video link

http://eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=5187374867001

Have got halfway and enjoying the presentation.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Landing as near as possible into wind, I expect the view of the touch-down point from, say, 600’ to vary greatly with wind speed, at likely GA approach speed. 6° glide angle in still air becoming much steeper (over the ground) in a 25kt wind.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

What would be a 100% assured forced landing procedure

Does such a thing even exist? A prerequisite is an adequate landing spot, which are few and far apart many places, much more so than to assure 100%. You have a much higher chance of surviving in a Cub vs a Lancair, everything else equal, for the simple reason of lower impact velocity.

Anyway, forced landings are interesting. I learned a much better procedure a few years ago by an air force pilot, than the procedure learned when taking PPL. Nevertheless I had a forced landing after a complete engine stoppage before I learned that better procedure, and landed spot on. What was surprising was the large effect of the wind milling propeller, and that is hard (impossibe?) to train for.

I guess I will read that book though.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

What was surprising was the large effect of the wind milling propeller, and that is hard (impossibe?) to train for.

I think that’s a very good point. My plane drops like a rock with CS propeller windmilling and throttle at idle. I’m told it improves a great deal when the propeller stops but have no way to quantify the effect., or understand the sight picture, other than shutting off the engine and trying to stop it… which I don’t particularly want to do.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 17 Nov 21:45

Bought your book as a recommendation on Beechtalk. I’m flying an F33A and it is immensely helpful !
Thanks for that !

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message