Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Recommendations for checkout process after major airframe restoration

Peter, I was recently quoted insurance as the reason that I could NOT fly the required test flight on an aircraft I had worked on and certified .

I often find insurance is used as a reason used by flying instructors to get a bit of flying without a student, the problem is flight tests are intended to diagnose problems , It is very easy for pilots to tell the mechanics something is wrong with an aircraft, diagnosing and suggesting action to correct the problem entirely another matter.

Last Edited by A_and_C at 19 Feb 14:21

Given everything has been dismantled (flight controls, engine, engine controls etc…), it is a good question.
Why not take your prebuy checklist ?
Can’t wait to see your aircraft looking brand new

LFOU, France

I often find insurance is used as a reason used by flying instructors to get a bit of flying without a student

Most “private owner” planes are not insured for an instructor flying alone. You have to get him on the policy as a named pilot. With the owner (named pilot) in the plane, he can have unlimited instruction and that is covered.

Once a plane has been signed off as airworthy, the insurance will be operative as normal for named insured, regardless of whether this is wise or not.

But you know all this

Few mechanics are pilots

Sure, but IME they won’t go up the plane anyway.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Huge topic. I did the first flight on my RV-8 after building it from a kit, so I think I understand what you are thinking. The EAA has a guide for first flight preparation – you might feel this is over-doing it, but would probably say it’s just what you need.

https://www.eaa.org/-/media/Files/EAA/EducationResources/SportAviation/2021-02-SportAviation-BeforeFirstFlightBuildChecklist.ashx

https://medium.com/faa/advanced-preflight-after-maintenance-196e847b9f07

Get friends to do inspections – you will be surprised what you overlooked. I probably had 6 informal inspections, and 3 formal inspections – and it turned out good, but I still had things to correct later, like setting my prop governor perfectly. Everyone found something that could have been done better, and I made the changes they suggested. Life’s too short to ignore good advice, and to learn every lesson yourself – use the force!

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

As mentioned above, and:

Read the type certificate data sheet, and note all of the control surface travel ranges. Take your protractor to the airplane, and check them all. Assure that each control surface moves the prescribed amount (including trim tabs). A bubble or digital protractor is fine for everything but the rudder, thought the rudder is the least critical if there is a small error in a travel stop. Satisfy yourself that each control moves in the proper sense, and moves freely through the entire control range.

If there have been any wiring changes (particularly cabin ceiling and near antennas) and presuming that the plane is equipped with in panel GPS, perform the following test:

Tune each comm transmitter to the frequencies listed below, and transmit for a period of 35 seconds, or the longest uninterrupted transmission possible for that transmitter, while observing the signal status of each satellite being received on the GPS. If any or all of the satellite bars drop to zero during the transmission, you have a wiring problem. Note that most modern comms now have a “stuck mic” function, and will cut off the transmission after about 35 seconds, even though you have not released the mic button. You’re looking for a little “TX” icon on the radio to tell you that it is, or has stopped, transmitting. The 35 second blast is enough to do the test. Test each comm separately.

(Confirm no local ATC use of these frequencies before transmitting on them): 121.150, 121.175, 121.185, 121.190, 121.200, 130.285, 131.250, 131.275, 131.290 131.300

I do this test with every new installation, and have found two planes and one helicopter with a major wiring error which causes interference between the comm transmission, and GPS reception. A wire which passes close to both the Comm antenna and GPS antenna, even though not connected to either, can still carry a signal enough to interfere with GPS reception. Best to find this on the ground, before you accept the plane, rather than during an GPS approach.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

eurogaguest1980 wrote:

Huge topic. I did the first flight on my RV-8 after building it from a kit, so I think I understand what you are thinking. The EAA has a guide for first flight preparation – you might feel this is over-doing it, but would probably say it’s just what you need.

Great reference. Thanks for this!

eurogaguest1980 wrote:

Get friends to do inspections – you will be surprised what you overlooked. I probably had 6 informal inspections, and 3 formal inspections – and it turned out good, but I still had things to correct later, like setting my prop governor perfectly. Everyone found something that could have been done better, and I made the changes they suggested. Life’s too short to ignore good advice, and to learn every lesson yourself – use the force!

Also a great idea. Anyone in Lithuania or with friends in Lithuania?

@Pilot_DAR: I will do all this for sure. Thanks for the tips!!

EHRD, Netherlands

dutch_flyer wrote:

Anyone in Lithuania or with friends in Lithuania?

when will the plane be ready? We visit Pociuniai every few months..

EETU, Estonia

ivark wrote:

when will the plane be ready? We visit Pociuniai every few months..

Should be completed second half of March based on the current estimate. Let me know if that works with your schedule!

EHRD, Netherlands

Airborne_Again wrote:

That’s the thing, isn’t it? Few mechanics are pilots.

Not around here. All A&Ps I know have a license and will test fly the airplane.

Other than that, pretty much what’s been said before (I have done a few post-major mx flights):

- go over the airplane with a fine tooth comb:

• de-cowl and check under the hood
  • check behind / under panel as much as you can
  • ensure ALL panels and hatches are secured (and not just stuck on by two screws – ask me how I know…)

- extensive ground run
- slow taxi, check brakes, steering
- high-speed taxi
- first flight(s): stay in the pattern, advise tower that this is a post-mx flight; this keeps ATC alert that they may have to bring you back quickly. At least here they really appreciate a heads-up.

At the moment I’m getting a bit concerned about the Ukraine situation and my ability to get the airplane out should things deteriorate…

This is scary.

EHRD, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message