Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to solve G5 GMU11 software update problem

Sorry @Przemek, just now saw your message.

Usually the G5 detects a newer than installed software on the SD card and offers to update.

Downgrading works a bit different. See below the answer from GARMIN support.

„With the software loader card installed in the G5, go into Configuration Mode (press/hold the knob while turning the G5 on)

Select Device Information page and press the knob to open it.

Select SFD (this is the line that shows the G5 current software level) and press the knob to open that page.

You will see an UPDATE button next to the displayed G5 software level. Select that and press the knob.

Select YES when it asks you to reload the current software. „

EDAQ, Germany

slowflyer wrote:

me software version 6.4 including GMU 11 firmware 2.0 and instructions how to force downgrade the units. Everything worked out as recommended

How to force downgrade? There is something special ?

http://www.Bornholm.Aero
EKRN, Denmark

By9468840 wrote:

uAvionix AV-30 is a good example with so many issues in the first release.

What’s your information source for that position, Baris? I’ve heard nothing good, bad, or indifferent about AV-30 installations.

LSZK, Switzerland

Just to let everybody know how to fix the problem.

GARMIN support was helpful by emailing me software version 6.4 including GMU 11 firmware 2.0 and instructions how to force downgrade the units. Everything worked out as recommended and the GMU started to talk to the G5 again. Followed by an update to the most recent 7.3/2.1 we finally reached the state we would have liked to have to begin with.

Thanks to everybody for the helpful comments and links to support.

EDAQ, Germany

I agree. uAvionix AV-30 is a good example with so many issues in the first release.

Switzerland

I would never install an early version of anything – especially if ripping out crucial stuff like AIs etc.

It’s OK to do that if you don’t need a plane with a good availability.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

By9468840 wrote:

It is worrying to read issues like this.

The problem was caused by using a non-standard updating procedure, as slowflyer wrote:

turned on the G5s on their internal battery for the update

Flip the avionics switch to ON, and then update. I’ve installed and been using G5s for 4+ years on different ships, and never had a problem whilst performing an update. Over the years updates have provided better readability and functionality for the system, so I usually install them as they become available. Again, all my comments for the non-certified version.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

By9468840 wrote:

It is not like the updates add new capabilities for free.

Actually, they might. You can read the change history for the G5.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I just ditched my trusty electro mechanical AI and HSI for a dual G5 setup. It is worrying to read issues like this.
is it mandatory to always upgrade to next firmware? I just wonder why I update if everything is working fine instead of leaving it alone.
It is not like the updates add new capabilities for free.

Last Edited by By9468840 at 26 Nov 08:14
Switzerland

It will upgrade other parts. System is always going to have latest firmware at all units in can-bus.
So even when you will connect power of units later or add unit with old firmware it will be detected by G5 and software update will be initialized.
At your case something went wrong..

http://www.Bornholm.Aero
EKRN, Denmark
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message