Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to solve G5 GMU11 software update problem

I would never install an early version of anything – especially if ripping out crucial stuff like AIs etc.

It’s OK to do that if you don’t need a plane with a good availability.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I agree. uAvionix AV-30 is a good example with so many issues in the first release.

Switzerland

Just to let everybody know how to fix the problem.

GARMIN support was helpful by emailing me software version 6.4 including GMU 11 firmware 2.0 and instructions how to force downgrade the units. Everything worked out as recommended and the GMU started to talk to the G5 again. Followed by an update to the most recent 7.3/2.1 we finally reached the state we would have liked to have to begin with.

Thanks to everybody for the helpful comments and links to support.

EDAQ, Germany

By9468840 wrote:

uAvionix AV-30 is a good example with so many issues in the first release.

What’s your information source for that position, Baris? I’ve heard nothing good, bad, or indifferent about AV-30 installations.

LSZK, Switzerland

slowflyer wrote:

me software version 6.4 including GMU 11 firmware 2.0 and instructions how to force downgrade the units. Everything worked out as recommended

How to force downgrade? There is something special ?

http://www.Bornholm.Aero
EKRN, Denmark

Sorry @Przemek, just now saw your message.

Usually the G5 detects a newer than installed software on the SD card and offers to update.

Downgrading works a bit different. See below the answer from GARMIN support.

„With the software loader card installed in the G5, go into Configuration Mode (press/hold the knob while turning the G5 on)

Select Device Information page and press the knob to open it.

Select SFD (this is the line that shows the G5 current software level) and press the knob to open that page.

You will see an UPDATE button next to the displayed G5 software level. Select that and press the knob.

Select YES when it asks you to reload the current software. „

EDAQ, Germany
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message