Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engine Oil

Peter wrote:

Ed didn’t say that but, hey, life is too short.

Ah, those dreaded non-informative one-liners…

He’s made that point on multiple occasions.

I do not like or recommend either of the two semi-synthetic oils that are
available, Aeroshell 15W-50 or Exxon Elite. Both contain PAO synthetic
basestock which in my opinion, is the worst possible basestock for use in
aircraft (but great for cars). Aircraft engines contaminate their oil with a
lot of blow-by fuel. PAO is horrible in dealing with contamination and
this lead to greater varnish and carbon deposits throughout the engine.
[…]
Edward Kollin
Technical Director
Aircraft Specialties Lubricants
One of the other downsides of AS15W50 is that it reguarly kills starter adapters, at least on the big bore Contis

That’s due to the Lycoming addititive LW-16702 which is part of AS15W50.

achimha wrote:

This SI and thread is about the break-in process though, there you don’t want a strong oil film on your barrels so that the piston rings can rub against the barrel and even out gaps.

Yes I understood.
But in the link you proposed, they also say that due to high temperature in the turbo, synthetic oil had better resistance properties than mineral oil, that’s why I asked :-)

I actually knew the answer, and based on your rational, and numerous statement from “experts” (MB, EK), and opinion from my mechanics, I also switched to XC20W50 plus camguard.
That was 20hrs ago, so I cannot say much for the moment.
Startup is as easy as with AS15W50, and temperatures in operation haven’t move. Time will say about consumption.

Last thing: what my mechanics had in mind, is that XC2050 could be used from breakin period to the last sight of the engine, and he seemed to consider it as a good thing.

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 16 Jul 10:38

Total 20W50 is a licenced version of the Phillips XC product. Same formula. Easier to get in EU.

EBKT

@ed2 might know more.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

When changing supplier, my club also changed from Aeroshell W80+ to Total XPD80 oil.

After that we’ve had some negative comments from maintenance people about Total oils. Is there any objective reason for that or is it just prejudice/rumours?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 13 Aug 08:13
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

One secondhand data point on those two is here. I got that from an aviation oil expert in the USA.

Administrator

I use more oil than most and I’ve never been able to tell any operational difference.

Exxon Elite oil discontinued

This is widely reported although the Exxon website doesn’t mention it (yet).

I stopped using it many years ago after it was clearly the cause of a large amount of corrosive watery sludge collecting around the engine, under the rocker covers, and around the dipstick.

Administrator

I was kind of hoping surefly electronic ignition units would improve aircraft starting compared to magneto’s

I would of thought no motor manufacturer would recommend a mono grade oil in this day and age

Last Edited by Bathman at 18 Oct 10:46

Bathman I would agree but have to deal with the world as it is, rather than it should be, electronic is the way to go.

Last Edited by A_and_C at 18 Oct 11:12
Sign in to add your message