Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Legality of landing on an ultralight field Italy

“Aviosuperficie” is an ENAC (Italian CAA) approved landing site and GA certified aircraft are allowed to land and take off. PPR may be required because privately owned.

“Campo di volo” is a landing site not approved by ENAC for certified aircraft operations. Used by microlights that aren’t regulated by ENAC.

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

@WhiskeyPapa I’ve never been to the field but also got curios and checked it out on Google Earth and StreetView, ;-) what I just noticed is that there seems to be a power line quite close to the runway. https://goo.gl/maps/uK4Wzqphy1C2

Fly for your dreams
LOAV

i also used “Aviosuperficie Collina” with a Bonanza No Problem with anyone at all I even went from there to a different country with a flightpan instead of airport code used in remarks “private airfield”

fly2000

I agree that use of campi di volo with an Italian Mountain Rating may be based on hearsay – here is the link to the regulatory context on the AIPM site. It introduces yet a new sub context, occasional use aviosuperfizie!

http://www.aipm.it/context.jsp?ID_LINK=10&area=5

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Seems to me that “Campo di volo” is similar to what we call “natural landing site”. It’s simply a piece of land where the owner allows aircraft to land and take off. There are no technical specifications or anything connected to a natural landing site, but only 12 movements per week is allowed (this includes microlights as well as others). More than 12 movements, and you have to apply for a “landing site”. Then you get a name, and it will appear on public maps, but unless IFR, commercial or used for PPL training, there are no technical specifications involved. It’s kind of annoying the way SD names some airfields “Microlight Site”, as there is no such thing (in Norway), and visitors can be lead to believe some airfields are only for microlights, which couldn’t be father from the truth.

I take it therefore that a “Campo di volo” is a “natural landing site”, but that certified aircraft has regulations preventing them from landing in anything but “public” fields ?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

@Jan_Olieslagers
Agree that 150 m. would be cutting it short! But Avioportolano says 350 × 30, which should be no problem (in May) given what looks like the absence of obstacles on the google satellite image of the “garden”. We would go to Paestum from there before continuing on to Sicily.

Tököl LHTL

Campi di volo are de facto “ULM-only airfields”, it’s just that the regulatory term “ultralight field” does not exist", which is what I was getting at.

Oasi di Peppe is beautiful by the way. More like a garden than an airfield. Great pizza on the airfield. Close to Paestum.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

There is another online airfield directory for Italy, where Oasi di Peppe is clearly marked as a Campo di Volo which indeed means “ultralights only”.
See here.
But mind you, its last update is from 2006.

But have you looked at that runway? According to a comment on OpenStreetMap (to see the comment one needs to create an account and log in) it is only 150 metres long, even a 220 hP Rallye might find that a challenge… so perhaps it is not your perfect field anyway. I don’t think you’d get AvGas there, either.

Last Edited by at 06 Jan 23:35
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I’m referring to what is described as a “ULM airfield” in the Avioportolano directory (in English). For example, Oasi di Peppe (350 x 30 meters grass) south of Salerno. Now just checking the Italian version, I see it’s referred to as “Campo volo”… This is the sort of field Rallyes are regularly flown out of in Ireland and the UK. I suppose I’ll take my chances!

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 06 Jan 23:18
Tököl LHTL

What exactly do you mean by “ultralight fields”? The term does not exist in Italy.

Maybe this ?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message