Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Legality of landing on an ultralight field Italy

My Rallye can handle ultralight fields which have no serious obstacles. Is PPR enough for me to land?

Tököl LHTL

Campi di voló can only be used by ultralights or CofA aircraft where the pilot has a mountain rating. Aviasuperfizie are OK but as with any air ‘field’ a PPR type briefing would be useful.

I believe Boscomantico may have a more up to date understanding, but this was the way it was when I last flew in Italy.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

My Rallye can handle ultralight fields which have no serious obstacles. Is PPR enough for me to land?

What exactly do you mean by “ultralight fields”? The term does not exist in Italy.

Campi di voló can only be used by ultralights or CofA aircraft where the pilot has a mountain rating.

I have never ever heard that (the last bit) anywhere, except from you. I think you have been misled by some mountain instructor. Maybe this “exemption” exists for mountain landings. But in the flatlands, having a mountain rating helps you zero with making landing a CofA aircraft on a campo di volo legal.

Anyway, all this is very fuzzy. The classic argument by the naysayers is that landings outside of registered airfields will void the CofA of any CofA aircraft, but others say that here is no explicit law/regulation which says so. It comes to the debate of whether what’s not forbidden is allowed or not.

In practice, as so often, it does not make any difference, until there is an accident. And even then, it is not likely that anybody in the insurance biz will know these subtle differences. Anyway, there is a residual risk.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 06 Jan 22:13
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

What exactly do you mean by “ultralight fields”? The term does not exist in Italy.

Maybe this ?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m referring to what is described as a “ULM airfield” in the Avioportolano directory (in English). For example, Oasi di Peppe (350 x 30 meters grass) south of Salerno. Now just checking the Italian version, I see it’s referred to as “Campo volo”… This is the sort of field Rallyes are regularly flown out of in Ireland and the UK. I suppose I’ll take my chances!

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 06 Jan 23:18
Tököl LHTL

There is another online airfield directory for Italy, where Oasi di Peppe is clearly marked as a Campo di Volo which indeed means “ultralights only”.
See here.
But mind you, its last update is from 2006.

But have you looked at that runway? According to a comment on OpenStreetMap (to see the comment one needs to create an account and log in) it is only 150 metres long, even a 220 hP Rallye might find that a challenge… so perhaps it is not your perfect field anyway. I don’t think you’d get AvGas there, either.

Last Edited by at 06 Jan 23:35
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Campi di volo are de facto “ULM-only airfields”, it’s just that the regulatory term “ultralight field” does not exist", which is what I was getting at.

Oasi di Peppe is beautiful by the way. More like a garden than an airfield. Great pizza on the airfield. Close to Paestum.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

@Jan_Olieslagers
Agree that 150 m. would be cutting it short! But Avioportolano says 350 × 30, which should be no problem (in May) given what looks like the absence of obstacles on the google satellite image of the “garden”. We would go to Paestum from there before continuing on to Sicily.

Tököl LHTL

Seems to me that “Campo di volo” is similar to what we call “natural landing site”. It’s simply a piece of land where the owner allows aircraft to land and take off. There are no technical specifications or anything connected to a natural landing site, but only 12 movements per week is allowed (this includes microlights as well as others). More than 12 movements, and you have to apply for a “landing site”. Then you get a name, and it will appear on public maps, but unless IFR, commercial or used for PPL training, there are no technical specifications involved. It’s kind of annoying the way SD names some airfields “Microlight Site”, as there is no such thing (in Norway), and visitors can be lead to believe some airfields are only for microlights, which couldn’t be father from the truth.

I take it therefore that a “Campo di volo” is a “natural landing site”, but that certified aircraft has regulations preventing them from landing in anything but “public” fields ?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I agree that use of campi di volo with an Italian Mountain Rating may be based on hearsay – here is the link to the regulatory context on the AIPM site. It introduces yet a new sub context, occasional use aviosuperfizie!

http://www.aipm.it/context.jsp?ID_LINK=10&area=5

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message