Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

L3 Lynx - active TAS and ADS-B traffic warning system

I have talked with the L3 company and they assured me that the Skywatch antenna is perfectly fine for the LYNX.

From above link by Vref:

That looks more like it!

The antenna is also massive:

Obviously something that size is going to contain a lot of stuff.

The speed penalty for a lump that size would be interesting, too. It is about the size of the KR87 ADF antenna

Also interesting is how you install something that size on a continuously curved roof like say a TB20GT.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That’s the antenna I have and which is installed on most SR22s.

from the Skywatch install manual:
Antenna Cables

The directional antenna requires three cable assemblies; sum (Sigma Port), bit probe (Probe Port) and
difference (Delta Port). Cable attenuation for the sum and difference ports must not exceed 2.5 dB. Table
2-1 identifies U. S. vendors who sell approved cables by the foot. Table 2-2 provides a cable to connector
cross reference. RG142B or equivalent may be used for the bit probe cable. Attenuation for the bit probe
cable must not exceed 6 dB. VSWR, on cables attached to the sum, bit probe, and difference ports, must not
exceed 1.5:1.

EBST

OK Alexis, let me get this right…

You are saying you have this

and you can remove this box

and end up with just the antenna

and install a box like this

and get “active TAS” functionality i.e. one which shows MODE C targets, with AZIMUTH?

Administrator

No you need the Directional TAS antenna with X number of Antenna leads :-), GPS WAAS antenna, Mode S Antenna and a Lynx 9000+…to have ADS-B and TAS traffic display

EBST

The first three are correct. Yes I get ADSB traffic + Mode C traffic with Azimuth, just like before. I DO NOT need that box (NGT-1000), only the LYNX 9000+

Skywatch out, Antenna coupler and LYNX in.

Last Edited by at 01 Sep 10:43

No you need the Directional TAS antenna with X number of Antenna leads :-), GPS WAAS antenna, Mode S Antenna and a Lynx 9000+…to have ADS-B and TAS traffic display

IMHO that antenna being so huge, and from the signal description, it must have a directional setup inside.

I did a google on “bit probe (Probe Port)” (in double quotes) and found various installation manuals…

Administrator

Googling for the L3 NY-164 antenna shows that it has 3 connectors:

Last Edited by achimha at 01 Sep 11:01

we are getting there ….I believe three Antenna leads need to be re-routed to the front if you have an existing installation, this is far from un-plug and play

Nice vid on the Lynx installation and look of the antenna
"":

Last Edited by Vref at 01 Sep 13:45
EBST
Sign in to add your message