Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

L3 Lynx - active TAS and ADS-B traffic warning system

I had some problems with the Skywatch in the past and have replaced the box witha used one. The next time it breaks it will be the LYNX for sure.
The LYNX gives me ADSB-out AND -in (traffic), so I would have the “normal” TAS traffic PLUS the ADSB traffic.

Peter wrote:

Also almost nobody is radiating ADS-B OUT in the airspace where this matters most i.e. low level OCAS

The more often you repeat it, the less true it becomes. ADS-B Out coverage is constantly growing. I have an ADS-B In display and have been observing it for several years now.

I have a detailled quote from Avionik Straubing, around € 9000 (based on the promotional price for the LYNX from 2016, but I didn’t do it). To install it on my Cirrus we would need to install a coupler to use one of the existing WAAS antennas, because there is no room for another antenna.

achimha wrote:

The more often you repeat it, the less true it becomes. ADS-B Out coverage is constantly growing. I have an ADS-B In display and have been observing it for several years now.

I agree. It is clearly getting more common in low level aircraft. Most people doing new avionics installations are adding ADS-B out as it is relatively simple.

EGTK Oxford

the Antenna installation seems to be indeed crucial as it can interfere with existing GPS Antenna and other equipment e.g. loudspeaker magnet etc…Anyway also on commercial jets sometimes the TCAS antenna causes problems…
Remember a case where humidity impacted the TCAS active phase array top antenna, it had reception problems of intruder aircraft in a quadrant due to humidity leaks as you have four antenna leads going to the TCAS processor. Anyway Peter its still better bargain to combine mode ES plus ADS-B in/out and have active TAS. All other solutions combining these options are way more expensive. I don’t agree neither that ADS-B out is useless for GA. I would not be surprised that we will see as technology becomes cheaper an ADS-B out implementation scenario for Europe the coming years….Most aircraft in Europe have mode S now and with the further cost reductions and technology enhancements by using multilaterations (WAM) SSR technology based on ADS-B the trend is visible…..

EBST

a coupler to use one of the existing WAAS antennas

I understood that using antenna couplers for GPS is not a an ideal idea ….your already have a weak signal….Its better to have extra waas antenna IMHO
combined CI 2580-200 COMDAT™ VHF/GPS WAAS?

Last Edited by Vref at 31 Aug 12:18
EBST

No, the coupler I am talking about will supply full signal power to both the WAAS GPS and the LYNX. The problem is that the part is hard to get, took me weeks to establish a contact with that company. The European Avionics companies do not even know this thing exists, and it is used in LYNX installation in the US and mainly on Cirrus aircraft a lot.

The part number is: PD2ORG!

Last Edited by at 31 Aug 12:10

Ok I see split or coupler…the split has one DC signal blocked the antenna needs power since its active

EBST

Further on the TAS atenna location is crucial it seems:
ANTENNA LOCATION
Location is an important factor for maximum antenna performance. Optimum location for a particular aircraft type is usually available from the aircraft manufacturer. In selecting a location, consider the
following:
Directional Antenna The mounting site should be on the top forward fuselage, as close to the centerline as possible, and within -10 degrees of the in-flight horizon (see Figure 2-1). The optimum mounting point for maximum coverage is as far forward as possible without exceeding the -10 degrees forward pitch. If necessary, consideration should be given to relocating other antennas to obtain the furthest forward
location for the directional antenna. The antenna should be mounted on the aircraft with at least 20 dB isolation (about 30 inches (76.2 cm)) from other L-band frequency antennas and 24 inches (61.0 cm) from other antennas or obstructions. The ground-plane should be as large as possible, a 30-inch (76.2 cm) ground-plane diameter is recommended. The directional antenna can be bottom mounted only if a suitable top mount location is not available. Each bottom mount installation must be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Last Edited by Vref at 31 Aug 12:45
EBST

That’s all good on my plane. I have one GA-36 Garmin WAAS antenna in the front of the cabin, far from the other antennas, and the existing traffic antenna for the other traffic can be used too.
Maybe next year, or when the Skywatch breaks …

Sign in to add your message