Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

L3 Lynx - active TAS and ADS-B traffic warning system

It’s funny how this goes around… I asked the same Q in post #3 I wonder if @JayBee installed one of these?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This should give an aproximation:

Lynx 9000+ plus Antenna

without install and additional WAAS antenna …I would guess an 11K euro installed tag…depending on the additional interfacing

EBST

The Lynx 9000+ box has the RF module included, you can see on the photo that there are multiple RF cables. There is also the antenna and the black config module.

How does the active TAS function get azimuth? And if it really uses just the one antenna, how does it get the info down a single RF cable? We did this before… there were theories but nobody actually knew. This would not be the first product which claims to work with one antenna and one cable – here.

Administrator

The L3 Skywatch TR497 has “one” antenna on top, but AFAIK the housing contains two antennas. Or whatever … but it works without a flaw. They Skywatch antenna can be used for the LYNX too.

Why? The post you reference clearly has the information that it is very common in direction finding applications to modulate multiple antenna signals onto a single RF cable by having electronics in the antenna and power on the RF cable.

Obviously that is how the Lynx 9000+ works, there is no other way considering that only one antenna module is require and it only has one RF connector.

It needs four antennae to get azimuth – or three at a push with extra signal processing.

For sure, multiplexing the RF signals is necessary if you want to go down one cable, but you can’t multiplex concurrently incoming signals, which is what you do get in this case. The time delay between two antennae is in picoseconds, or zero if the target is at 90/180/etc. Possible, if you switch the mux much faster than the incoming packet duration, but I would like to see actual info. It is more possible if the RF is processed inside the antenna using four RF receivers but then you would not need an RF cable; any digital connection would be fine (even RS232).

very common in direction finding applications

Any references I could read, applicable to L-band signals?

The reason I am questioning this is because at the time I read various reviews of the (linked) Monroy box and they basically said it doesn’t work. If it did, it would have wiped out the TAS market because it was just one antenna (without the installation complications which so many installers have trouble with) and it was 1/3 of the price.

Administrator

I believe you need the specific TAS antenna its like a TCAS I Antenna it has three antenna leads coming out (see my previous post picture to the Skywatch processor) TCASII has mostly four (Active phase array but teh phase processor sits in the TCAS processor in the avionics bay). So IMHO you need the WAAS GPS Antenna and additional TAS Antenna to make the TAS Option work correctly plus of course the normal Mode S antenna.
Or as Achimba mentions the phase processor is in the Antenna integrated but I doubt it as you can re-use the existing Skywatch Antenna which has three leads. The above seems to be a GPS Antenna…?

EBST

Peter wrote:

It is more possible if the RF is processed inside the antenna using four RF receivers but then you would not need an RF cable; any digital connection would be fine (even RS232).

It could transmit the ADS-B In/Out as RF and modulate digital information derived from the 4 (or which ever number) antennas onto the cable. RF cables have a lot of bandwidth.

It is clear that:

• The L3 SkyWatch and Lynx 9000+ work as TAS with quality comparable to Ryan/Avidyne and Garmin
  • There is only one antenna enclosure involved (SkyWatch + Lynx)
  • The Lynx antenna only has one RF connector per photo
  • The TAS part of the Lynx 9000+ is not the novelty, the novelty is the addition of a transponder and TAS/ADS-B display. TAS has been available for ages as L3 SkyWatch.

So things are pretty clear, aren’t they?

mhmhmh….You can remove the Skywatch processor Achimba but it has three antenna leads going in :-)
https://www.seaerospace.com/sales/product/L3%20Technologies/Skywatch/SKY497
But heck do I know..didn’t find install manual..it intrigues me however..;-)..if it is then for sure it the install is much simpler….no clue however how to find azimuth as Peter mentions…the Monroy was highly approximate….I had the earlier version it worked ad/hoc. Lynx allows to display TAS data on a certified equipment it has TSO C147 approval.

EBST
Sign in to add your message