Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Just got my driving licence, buy an estate car?

Folks,

I have just passed my driving test, and I want to drive around with my friends and go places. I have my eye set on a rather nice Volkswagen Estate, but my dad days I should be taking it slow and continue in a car more similar to the Ford Focus I learned to drive in. Also, I learned on an automatic, and my father thinks I should be driving for 2-3 years before upgrading to a manual gearbox, as they are complicated and if you get things wrong you can ruin your gearbox or engine.

Any advice?

Biggin Hill

Buy a 15 year old Mazda MX-5 for not a lot of money and have some fun instead

PLACEHOLDER

for the usual posts

• The ones telling me my dad is right
  • The ones telling me to just go for it, YOLO and all that
  • The ones telling me that Volkswagens are a bit shite and I should be buying a Mercedes / Range Rover / Bentley / Motorcycle instead
  • The ones telling me to think hard about how my “mission” fits the car
  • The ones telling me to drive around for a few year to figure out what my mission actually is and what I like about driving
  • The ones telling me to borrow cars from my friends so I can figure out which ones I like
  • The ones telling me that manual gearboxes are overrated and I should stick to automatic

Did I forget anything?

SCNR

Biggin Hill

Best thread in a loooooong time, LOL !!!

I sat in one once, it was like a junkyard inside.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Cobalt wrote:

Any advice?

Dude, I’d buy a plane instead.

Germany

UdoR wrote:

Dude, I’d buy a plane instead.

+1, retract if possible

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Why not build a car sim for the money of the car? Much safer and you will never get in an accident.

ESME, ESMS

My first car was a Lotus Elise, such a great car and a manual. Lately the familiy said we need an estate car so I complied with a „boring“ Audi estate, only thing they did not realize yet its actually an RS6… Have fun and do not worry too much. Getting a jet after your license is no good idea but those are just cars, be a bit carefull and things will be ok.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Antonio wrote:

+1, retract if possible

And turbo of course.
That one could fit? It’s not an estate but they may make a retract version …

Last Edited by greg_mp at 30 Jun 19:52
LFMD, France
46 Posts
Sign in to add your message