Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Just got my driving licence, buy an estate car?

A manual box gives you lots more MPG, and is much better for overtaking

I know claims about modern auto boxes being almost as good as manual, but that must be in the hands of gorilla drivers.

I had an auto car for about 5 years (Toyota/Lexus Soarer) and it was great for burning people up in a straight line, on a dry road 23mpg… I now get a long term average of 58mpg with a 2 litre diesel which is a lot faster in practical terms.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

A manual box gives you lots more MPG, and is much better for overtaking

I’m sad to say that’s no longer true, in general. If you compare fuel consumption figures, the automatics are generally rated a little better. Among other less fundamental factors, it has to with having a zillion gears with very wide range and therefore running highly ‘over square’ when in cruise. Then when you need to accelerate the thing downshifts though ‘half a zillion’ gears in an instant and you’re immediately at peak power.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 02 Jul 20:03

Silvaire wrote:

in an instant

That’s very far from an instant. An electric car with no transmission at all is an instant. A couple of microseconds at most.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I think the UK system makes sense – given that ~98% of cars on our roads are manual it seems logical that one should demonstrate operation during the test.

I believe taking the test in an automatic (in the UK) correlates highly with low aptitude, a very high number of lessons and frankly it being somewhat questionable whether the person has the skills to control any car at all on a public road. If they scrape through the test eventually in an automatic then there’s really no way they’re ever likely to master a manual box. Almost be definition they aren’t going to have @Silvaire’s aptitude for teaching themselves.

At the beginning of my first lesson the instructor asked me if I knew how a clutch worked. Of course, I said, and he replied great that makes it so much easier. He said the hardest to teach are those (unfortunately usually girls) who have zero technical knowledge or interest and therefore cannot wrap their heads round it because they don’t understand what it does or why it’s even there.

EGLM & EGTN

Peter wrote:

I know claims about modern auto boxes being almost as good as manual, but that must be in the hands of gorilla drivers.

Many modern auto boxes aren’t traditional automatics (i.e. the unresponsive slushbox automatics you might have driven, with an epicyclic gearbox controlled by brake bands and a torque converter, which is unresponsive and makes the engine sound like it’s connected to a badly slipping clutch at low speed) but are what’s known as “automated manual”, in other words they are a normal manual gearbox, but you have power controls to operate the clutch and shift (and no clutch pedal). They have a typical automatic style PRNDL shifter which you can put in D, and just let the computer operate the clutch and gearbox, but also a “manual” setting where you select gears manually (what Top Gear calls a “flappy paddle gearbox”) with paddles on the steering column, and sometimes a way to shift also with the PRNDL lever (e.g. you have something like PRNDLM, and on the M setting the lever can move side to side to step up or down a gear). These are MUCH better than traditional automatics, they are just as responsive as a manual, especially when you put them in M mode so you can select the right gear for the conditions you can see ahead.

Last Edited by alioth at 03 Jul 09:32
Andreas IOM

Graham wrote:

~98% of cars on our roads are manual
This is all that’s left in the US, sold in volume just slightly above zero. There are two or three manual shift models that might suit my needs – the four door Honda is probably closest.
Last Edited by Silvaire at 03 Jul 13:22
46 Posts
Sign in to add your message