Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IR(R) / IMCR validity in Ireland airspace (and Channel Islands and Isle of Man)

Qalupalik wrote:

The British Islands and British Overseas Territories are represented internationally by the UK. That is, under the Chicago Convention, these are territories for which the UK is responsible.

I know, but the CAA quote did not say that, it just said “the UK” and as the IR(R) is not ICAO-compliant, the Chicago Convention does not apply.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again, “… the Channel Islands are not properly part of the UK…”

The British Islands and British Overseas Territories are represented internationally by the UK. That is, under the Chicago Convention, these are territories for which the UK is responsible.

London, United Kingdom

The privileges of the IR(R) are set out in the UK Air Navigation Order 2006 – Section 2 of Part 2 of Schedule 8 provides as follows:

An instrument meteorological conditions rating (aeroplanes) entitles the holder of the licence to act as pilot in command or co-pilot of an aeroplane flying under the Instrument Flight Rules except—
(a)in Class A airspace; or

(b)when the aeroplane is taking off or landing at any place if the flight visibility below cloud is less than 1,500 metres.

The additional stuff in the UK AIP regarding higher instrument approach minima for IR(R) holders is not mandatory, just recommended (as the AIP itself makes clear).

Presumably the equivalent legislation in the IoM / Guernsey contains a similar provision, or has a similar exemption to what Ibra posted above re Jersey.

Some websites and CAA documentation still contain out of date references to the old ANO which specified a higher visibility minimum and (I think) the prohibition on operating IFR in Class B and C airspace.

Last Edited by Indochine at 18 Dec 13:02
EGTF, United Kingdom

I don’t have a reference to hand for Channel Islands but my understanding is they do accept IR(r)

I posted it here

IMCR in CICZ

I am not sure if it covers Guernsey/Alderney as well? or if they have own exemption?

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 Dec 11:22
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Indeed, and I didn’t write that

Old ex RAF old fart stuff. Got to know your place, young man…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The IMC Rating is a UK national rating and is designed as a ‘get you out of trouble’ qualification and not as a replacement for the IR

I think that’s quite dangerous advice – it discourages pilots from keeping their skills current if it’s a “just get out of trouble” rating rather than “use it routinely on UK trips” rating. Although to be honest, everyone I’ve known with the rating has ignored that advice, and routinely used it for trips.

Last Edited by alioth at 16 Dec 10:24
Andreas IOM

You are right, although it is hard to find a CAA reference.

This is a good summary

It does contain the usual nonsense

The IMC Rating is a UK national rating and is designed as a ‘get you out of trouble’ qualification and not as a replacement for the IR

Administrator

I wrote to the Isle of Man CAA to determine whether they allow use if IR(r) in their airspace, and the answer was Yes, they do. On a related note, the CTA in that area is Class C, which is permitted for IR(r) holders. Some erroneously still think IR(r) is limited to D and above. Per the ANO (2016) it is All except Class A.

I don’t have a reference to hand for Channel Islands but my understanding is they do accept IR(r).

United Kingdom

IMCR recommended AD minima are 1500m & 600ft,

The 1500m is mandatory.

The rest is not.

Administrator

Interesting, so the french CAA approved it? According to UK CAA without such approval it’s not allowed.

I don’t know the exact mechanics,

• The use of IMCR in CICZ CTR is covered by an exemption during the day
  • The use of IMCR in adjacent “French Golf” or at night with Brest, no idea?

JerseyIMC_pdf

Jersey Aeroclub offers IMCr training, it will daft if they can’t use it?

https://www.jerseyaeroclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/March-2020-members-newsletter.pdf

IMCR recommended AD minima are 1500m & 600ft, most people use it to depart & arrive under IFR in SVFR conditions and leave ATZ or CTR, you can do that on SVFR using PPL…there is a minority who use it down to legal AD system minima

On the other hand, the Channel Islands are not properly part of the UK so strictly speaking according to the CAP 804 quote the IR(R) is not valid for flights there. (What a mess.)

CAA did limit the scope of IR(R) in EASA licences to UK as such it’s not valid in other EASA states like Ireland, France or Sweden…in the other hand, Jersey is not in EASA and they can accept it in their airspace

I have IMCR on UK legacy PPL and IRR on UKFCL PPL, the latter is “limited to UK”, I think Jersey can accept it like they do for PMD, NPPL, LAA, PtF…

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Dec 10:07
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message