Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

French pilots landing at a Port of Entry French airport need > 6 month ID card / passport validity

In France, if landing in POE one need to carry travel documents with 6 months validity, even when flying within France, especially if the passengers are likely to have “un contrôle de faciès”

Why this is an issue in POE airports? why this does not happen when going into maritime ports with international boats arriving from everywhere

Last Edited by Ibra at 09 Oct 14:05
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

That’s outrageous. Is there a reference? It would mean a French pilot without a passport could not visit those airports.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They need to carry an ID card valid > 6 months (or passport valid > 6 months), saying they are French is not enough…

There is a legal requirement to carry ID or passport in France for random checks (it’s the 6 months validity that is new here, especially as you are not even travelling)

Last Edited by Ibra at 09 Oct 14:08

OK; AFAIK more or less all of European mainland requires an ID card carriage. In Czech it was called “pas” and it was a criminal offence to not carry it outside the house.

The same was proposed in the UK some years ago but was met with stiff resistance

I don’t get what is the relevance of a French pilot landing at say Le Touquet needing the 6 month validity, but not needing it when landing at say Arcachon.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t get what is the relevance of a French pilot landing at say Le Touquet needing the 6 month validity, but not needing it when landing at say Arcachon.

Yes that is what I did not get, why it’s not an issue when going to nearby bakery? or maritime ports? or driving on highway?

I don’t have a law text reference but if anyone would care to rely on laws as opposed to first hand experience, they can fill their boots…

Last Edited by Ibra at 09 Oct 14:23

I have never heard of “un contrôle de faciès”.
@Peter is correct we always need to carry proof of identity in France, but other than entering and leaving the country the only time I can remember being asked for it was at La Rochelle when going through the main terminal from the GA parking and taking BIA students on a visit of the tower.
I thought the 6 month thing was something demanded by the airlines. I have heard a number of Brits complaining about being refused travel if this is within 6 months, not of the date of expiry of a passport but 6 months from the term of the passport, ie if your 10 years from your date of issue is up before the expiry date, they take it as 6 months from the 10 year limit.
If what I have written above sounds like nonsense, it possibly is and I have totally misunderstood what I was being told by someone whose daughter was refused travel.
It’s a mess IMO and getting more messy by the day.
@Ibra what does “faciès” mean? It is surely a word that some civil servant has made up.

Ahh I have just found out it means facial expressions such as when you have a disease or perhaps gaping or even maybe gurning. Very weird.

Last Edited by gallois at 09 Oct 15:54
France

gallois wrote:

I have never heard of “un contrôle de faciès”.

I think he meant “contrôle au faciès”, see here
Basically, when the police/gendarmerie/… applies their power to “check the identity” of a person in a discriminatory way, checking more (or only) people that look “not ethnically from here”.

ELLX

I understood French police/gendarmes do not need to have a reason to stop you and check ID etc… and that you need to present some form of I D if asked (if this is not correct then what is the law?) . Conversely I believe the UK police need to have a reason and have to tell you what it is, also that you do not have to tell them anything, though this may delay your day while they find out who you are.

With reference to 6 months, is that not generally “a rule” for all travel requiring a passport where your maximum stay may be “up to 6 months”?

Yep French police can ask to see your ID without any prior reason and they don’t have to tell you why, unless you feel it is discriminatory. ie goes against the constitution.
That being said, they don’t have a habit of stopping people arbitrarily and asking to see your identity, unless something has been said by the powers that be.
Like many places France has a shortage of police manpower in certain areas and stopping people arbitrarily for ID might set off another “gilet jaune” movement.

France

With reference to 6 months, is that not generally “a rule” for all travel requiring a passport where your maximum stay may be “up to 6 months”?

I think it’s clear if you are travelling internationally your papers has to be valid for > 6months but if you are going to the bakery? or getting a haircut? the same applies to landing in big airport on national flight if your paper has 1 day to expiry it is still valid, you are not travelling anyway

Also valid driving licence with expiry > 6m is not accepted as paper in such airports (however, when you get stopped on highways for “excess de vitesse” it seems to be enough), this is specific to big airports, I wonder if this is also the case in train stations or maritime ports? I highly doubt it as people will get “yellow jackets”

gallois wrote:

stopping people arbitrarily for ID might set off another “gilet jaune” movement.

The PIC was wearing hi-viz jacket already

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 Oct 07:35
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message