Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can an instructor be FORCED to sign the PPL SEP class rating revalidation

Bathman wrote:

Having a training record for a flight and then recommended for test is fair more palatable to your ops inspector than just proceed for test.

That’s a matter between the ATO and their regulator, It’s got nothing to do with the customer.

If a customer just wants a test, sell him the test. If he fails then that’s his problem and his wasted time and money. Why an inspector from the CAA should have a problem with that is beyond me, but it fits with the controlling culture in UK aviation.

EGLM & EGTN

johnh wrote:

So if you have an EASA IR, which requires an annual skill test with an examiner, then you don’t need to do anything at all beyond that to keep your PPL valid (assuming you meet the flight experience requirements). That’s good to know.

Yep. In fact I let my most recent IR PC double as the refresher training for revalidating my SEP!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

johnh wrote:

So if you have an EASA IR, which requires an annual skill test with an examiner, then you don’t need to do anything at all beyond that to keep your PPL valid (assuming you meet the flight experience requirements).

IR proficiency check is not for a class or type rating, so it does not count automatically. The examiner must know in advance of your intention to count it as refresher training.

EGKR, United Kingdom

IR proficiency check is not for a class or type rating, so it does not count automatically.

Surely this would include the IR proficiency check: “skill test or assessment of competence in any other class or type of aeroplane”

LFMD, France

I let my most recent IR PC double as the refresher training for revalidating my SEP

I think for that you need to do the specific exercises needed for SEP reval, not just an IR reval. I found this on my last IR reval.

It is not like the FAA system where an initial IR checkride counts as a BFR.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There are no specific exercises for an SEP reval under EASA. Attempts to introduce such is CAA gold plating

EIWT Weston, Ireland

OK; yes. I need to check what happened to me some months ago. The IR FE may have confused it with a renewal of an expired SEP (but mine never expired). Anyway I did mine the other day.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nope. When you do this (renew your SEP on the same flight as your IR), it is not a „1 hour with an instructor“ flight, but a prof check, and its contents are clearly defined.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Any checkride, for example an IR revalidation or even an MEP Class Rating revalidation, can count as an hour with an instructor for purposes of the SEP class rating revalidation.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

YakovD:
“The examiner must know in advance of your intention to count it as refresher training.”

A successful proficiency check cannot be counted as training. It sounds like you’re describing combined IR and SEP class rating proficiency checking, in which case the SEP ‘revalidation by experience’ criteria are irrelevant.

London, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message