Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus SR20 PH-YMC crashed in Croatia

The aircraft disappeared from radar screens today around 10:30 UTC near mountain Mala Kapela in Croatia. It was on flight from Maribor LJMB to Pula LDPL, 3 POB. Search is still in progress.

Last Edited by Emir at 20 May 16:41
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The wreckage was found 20 min ago. No further details for now.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

According to this report, the wreckage was on fire.

https://n1info.hr/vijesti/manji-sportski-avion-nestao-s-radara-izmedu-jezerana-i-modrusa/

The mountain is about 1000 m high if I get it right from Google maps.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

This aircraft is based in my hangar :(

EHRD, Netherlands
EHRD, Netherlands

Within one year span. One to many for my taste…
Some kind of safety briefing about flying in Croatia seaside and mountain area must be introduced ASAP.

29.05.2022. Near Slunj C-182 D register
28.06.2022. On island Brač C-172 HA register, the lucky one
31.03.2023. Pula LDSP, UL D register
and now this PH SR20

Croatia

So what’s the problem with Croatia? I’ve been to Mali Losinj, Hvar and Brac and didn’t find them challenging. Unusual, certainly, but plenty of runway and no obstacles. (At least not in the arrival/departure sectors.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

9A_LDSH wrote:

Some kind of safety briefing about flying in Croatia seaside and mountain area must be introduced ASAP.

Rubbish. People who are not able to fly over 3000 ft hills simply have a skill problem of a general nature. But without us knowing what happened, it’s complete tosh to start asking for more compulsory briefings. Where are we gonna end up if every single airport has compulsory introductions with FI and briefing?

It was discussed to there and back wheather flat land pilots should be allowed over the alps without training. That at least has some merit, as mountain flying in general is a totally different ball game. But the coastal hills of Croatia?

Once again, the risk of GA is blown totally out of proportion. Yesterday, yes, there were 3 accidents. Anyone keep track how many car accidents happened at the same time? Alone in Switzerland if I read the paper correctly 10 or more, one right on the airport parameter. Ok, so let’s scream for compulsory driving training for each road?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

@Mooney, you may be right, but all above, except the fresh one – which we have no clue are
within bellow frame.
What is other possible approach? Come to Croatia, kill your self for free (with good insurance),
in CH that cost you at last 10k CHF :(

It is not a “problem” with Croatia, simple it is 3 different flying environment within quite small area.
The flat Panonian part, the mountains along the Velebit chain (and Bosnia), and the seaside with islands… all
related to local weather, winds and storms.

Croatia can have small GA airports with better safety for sure, but in this case the people visiting
tend to underestimate the local orography + weather and winds.
The outcome you can see on the above list.

Last Edited by 9A_LDSH at 21 May 12:02
Croatia

I don’t think that there is any problem in the orography. Maybe rising numbers of accidents could be related to the fact that Croatia is now in Schengen, so there could simply be more movements?

Germany
86 Posts
Sign in to add your message