Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR Departure

Perhaps write them a letter or email asking for clarification?

Last Edited by JasonC at 14 Oct 19:05
EGTK Oxford

€ 4.20, Gene! That’s one Latte at Starbucks …

All in all EDMS delivers great service. The landing fees are moderate and, as I said, they will always let you do one or two practice approaches for free.

Why can’t you see things a bit more moderate? Germany is not run by the Mafia and usually when somebody tells you something (like that they have to pay for itthemselves) they do not lie. Although you imply that they do just that.

I don’t think EDMS gets charged by DFS at all. That sounds like nonsense.

They always ask me if I arrived IFR and when I cancel IFR I do net get charged. Never had any discussion like you mentioned.

No, Achim – I was actually standing next to Gene when they explained it: If they get a message from Munich that an IFR flight is due, you have to pay, no matter how far out. Only if they DON’T get the message (e.g, if you cancel over Austria) you will not pay. And their boss has explained it to me before: THey have to pay Munich for the service, and that’s why they charge the pilot.

Well, definitely not I was treated in ca. 50 approaches. I usually cancel shortly before so I don’t have to fly the long procedure and block other IFR traffic.

The money is for the calibration flight they have to pay DFS for every year.

No idea what happened in your case. I’d never pay that IFR fee for a VFR approach. It starts at the IAF and if I cancel before, I’m VFR.

I only told you what the two main people in that tower told US. And they repeated it about 15 times.

Alexis its not the money its the principle.

Whenever I go there I drop between 1 or 2 thousand Euros right into the local economy. This past time it was 2000+.They, the town of Straubing, should be thankful they have tenants that attract that kind of money to be spent in the town. Admittedly it is not a large number but for every pilot that drops in its the equivalent of a doz other tourists.

When the shop has to make half a doz maintenance flights (4 for me) they should at least give a discount or better yet no charge at all. They should charge the Tenant shop more to cover the maintenance landing fees in their lease. I do know that the shop will pass along the cost but that is at it should be. Why not have an entrance fee for your car? It can get more and more ridiculous.

So its not about the money but the fact that I got charged for something for which I shouldnt. If Achim is right than its even worse. What, they dont like Americans? Or Hungarians?

KHTO, LHTL

achimha wrote:

Well, definitely not I was treated in ca. 50 approaches. I usually cancel shortly before so I don’t have to fly the long procedure and block other IFR traffic.

We Achim, I know that isn’t true. Or do you just like to block Australians?

Last Edited by JasonC at 14 Oct 20:57
EGTK Oxford

Now it’s becoming a conspiracy theory, Gene ;-)

I will call EDMS and try to find out.

I just sent an eMail to the CEO of EDMS. I’ll let you know if they answer!

Sign in to add your message